Anyone rebuilt Gen 2 shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posting here because i don't have faith in anyone answering in the gen 2 forum.

I've rebuilt a few gen 1 shocks and just started my first gen 2 (non live valve) set today and had a few questions. I thought they'd be similar to the Gen 1s but i'm finding some key differences.

Rear Shocks
1. The IFP does not have a threaded hole so the only way to remove it, is to remove the reservoir tube and push it out the bottom. Can you clamp the end cap and use a strap wrench to spin the tube? Or do you clamp the tube and try to spin the end cap? Both ways will be very challenging. I wouldn't have expected it to be so difficult to remove the IFP.
2. With no way to push or pull the IFP how to you bleed the system after adding fluid? On the Gen 1s you would thread a rod into the IFP and work it up and down to remove any air pockets. Also you would set the height about 1/4" from the bottom after working out the air bubbles. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this on the Gen 2s.

Anyone have any insights or care to share any secrets?

IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_6834.jpeg

Last edited:

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill start with ... I have not done these shocks.... have only done Gen 1s

Looks to me... discharge shock ( should be done already) Push floating piston down and remove retaining clip. Put some rags into shock to protect piston. Use a blow gun into charge port of reservoir to blow out piston.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That works on the front shocks but the rears are about the same as gen 1s I had to unscrew the tube and push it out the end. Took a lot of heat and a lot of force to loosen it. Seems like a bad design to remove the IFP

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go second here. I've done Gen 1s, King 3.0s on my dodge and some Fox 2.0s.

Personally I'd assume that IFP is in backwards, but I can't tell from the photos if that's a flat surface or concave. 1/4-20 thread has been standard on all the shocks I've done.

However, I've never cracked into a Gen 2 shock so I can't tell you for certain.

Also was that the depth that thing was at or did you push it down? Looks like that thing could of been slamming on top out.

EDIT: Just went through Kartek's Fox parts, there are non threaded IFPs. Here is a link to a threaded IFP for a 2.5 aluminum Resi → https://www.kartek.com/parts/fox-80...ing-piston-includes-o-ring-and-wear-band.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the flat surface and no threaded hole on the other side so no way to get it out without taking the tube off. Also no way to accurately set the height.

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you throw the body back on it and pop it out with a compressor?

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't use compressed air since you're looking at the piston through the hole where the valve would be. You have to remove the tube to get it out.

I'll try to video the next one i do since there are no videos out there of anyone tearing a gen 2 shock apart. Maybe someone will see something i don't.

This one isn't charged yet but you can see there is no way to blow the piston out.
IMG_6842.jpeg

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm saying, grab a piece of something (Green Block in ghetto paint photo) and a blowgun and shoot that thing out.

ghetto paint.png

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll try that on the next one. I’d have to remove the shaft and reinstall the top cap to keep the body on. Should make for a good video at the least