GEN 1 Slapping Sound after replacing shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone has encountered this after rebuilding their shocks.

I had the OEM Gen 1 shocks rebuilt by Texas Shock Works. The original shocks I had were low perch and the rebuilds are mid perch - could this be a factor in this “slapping” sound I’m hearing?

The rebuilds ride 1k times smoother, but the originals that were pretty much all blown were silent and didn’t make this springy slappy sound I keep hearing. The springs on the coil overs have roughly 55kon them. I did t replace them with this rebuild - maybe I should have?

I bought the truck used and have never driven a Gen 2 eaither so don’t know what either are like when brand new. Is this normal? Anyone else encounter this?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who did the install? Sounds like something was left loose. Pull the wheels and start grabbing at stuff, look for anything that is loose. Check all of the fasteners that are removed during a shock R&R.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who did the install? Sounds like something was left loose. Pull the wheels and start grabbing at stuff, look for anything that is loose. Check all of the fasteners that are removed during a shock R&R.

I did the install.

that thought occurred to me as I am not a pro, but I torqued everything pretty damn good I thought.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom main strut bolt that connects to arm calls for a lot of torque? Don’t know exact ft lbs but it is a lot! Maybe check there first

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Slapping Sound" is a new one...
How loud is it, can you isolate front/rear or L/R?
Is it possible you moved the rear E-Brake cable and its slapping against the leaf?
Up front, did everything go together normal, hats are all sitting the way they should?
Is the rubber bump on shock shaft all good?