Should I upgrade to 3.0 or just rebuild??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure there are a bunch a threads already on this topic, I glanced, sorry I'm lazy.

My front shock is leaking oil, probably a blown seal, should I find a shop in San Diego to rebuild or upgrade. I'm weighing my options if I should upgrade to 3.0 Fox's or King's. I want to know is there a noticeable difference between stock and 3.0? How is the ride on the rode. I live in the desert so I do go off roading but don't want to have it ride like shit on the rode.

Any information on the 3.0 front and rear will be appreciated. Pro/cons.

Thanks in advance.

It's a very nice improvement over stock; if your off-roading consists of fire roads, save your money and get stock shocks, but if you like to to go to Glamis, Anza-Borrego, Plaster City, Barstow or Ocotillo and get in the skinny pedal, the upgrade will be well worth it.

The ride quality does suffer a little bit, but the trade-off is worth it. It feels taunter and a little firmer sprung; the reality is, anything that feels plush on the streets is going to be too soft for all but the tiniest of whoops.

Good luck!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ICON 3.0's all around. The single best shock out there for ride quality that will make you happy on the street and the dirt. Fully adjustable. Turn the knob adjustability that just makes them as versatile as can be. Easily rebuilt and tough. There really is no way I would ever go back to stock shocks' though know a lot of guys that beat on their trucks and still have the 2.5's. If it was me, I'd stick with the same manufacturer (Icon) if you already have them out back. Click to '0' on the street, and click to '4-6' in the dirt. It's just that easy.

Have fun and good luck with your decision!!!

OP
OP
sdraptor

sdraptor

Reaction score
Thanks for info, going to upgrade since I live within 30-45 minutes from Glamis, Plaster City, Ocotillo and do hit the dirt a lot. I guess next time I'll do a better search so the peanut gallery will pipe down.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Thanks for info, going to upgrade since I live within 30-45 minutes from Glamis, Plaster City, Ocotillo and do hit the dirt a lot. I guess next time I'll do a better search so the peanut gallery will pipe down.

Peanut Gallery here:

try using google with the phrase you're looking for and then the modifier Site: http://www,fordraptorforum,com It'll get better results than the FRF search most times.

(I know there's commas in the URL otherwise it autoconverts to a link tag)

OP
OP
sdraptor

sdraptor

Reaction score
:sorry: I will admit I am retarded, I just noticed that there is this topic in the sticky at the top of the page.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Haha it's all good man. first post was all in fun. second post was legitimately trying to help you out. I don't think a lot of people know how to use google to search only here.:favorites13:

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure there are a bunch a threads already on this topic, I glanced, sorry I'm lazy.

I want to know is there a noticeable difference between stock and 3.0? How is the ride on the rode. I live in the desert so I do go off roading but don't want to have it ride like shit on the rode.

Any information on the 3.0 front and rear will be appreciated. Pro/cons.

Thanks in advance.

Do not upgrade to bigger shocks, you-will-die. I mean, you're lazy and you spelled road rode. Your time on the planet is likely limited already.

The pros are, you never have to pay taxes again.

The cons include being visible only in old photos and videos and never meeting your unborn child.

Next question

Im just twisting your *****, of course upgrade. Just get it approved by your mommy/wife first. And if on road performance is key (which it is for me) look at fox and icon and less king.

Last edited:

40oz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up question to this dusty old thread....

I currently have 2.5 on Mid Perch with Geiser Bro Springs

Making the swap to ICON or 3.0 will I loose any of my ride height? Currently running 37s.