Should i trade in my Raptor or sell it outright?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay

Reaction score
I just recently decided i want a GT500 and have my mind set on it but ive got to get rid of my 2011 Raptor first. I put it on Auto Trader and havent had any interest in it yet its been about 2weeks. I was pretty surprised how well the raptor holds its value it books on KBB for around 45-47k. I have it listed for 44.9 its pretty much mint condition never off road 18k miles. I havn't tried trading it in to the dealer yet its winter up here and my raptor is sitting in my garage put away for the winter detailed so i dont feel like taking it out and getting it dirty shopping it around. And there is really not many not many used gt500's around my area for sale at all im looking for a 11-12. My question is for anyone that has traded their raptor in what the dealer gave you? I was kind of thinking it would be easier to trade in because i woulnt have to pay full sales tax on the mustang which would be about $2500 but i dont want to get ***** on the trade either. I did go to one ford dealership right down the road and asked if theyd be interested in buying my raptor and he said only if it was paid off..i dont really know why that would make a difference i didnt ask. I still owe about 27k on it. Wouldnt they just pay off the loan through my bank?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It would help if you let folks know where you're located. And all the details about your Raptor - stock equipment and mods, maintenance, etc.

Have you put it up for sale on this forum? If not you should.

GLWS

OP
OP
Jay

Jay

Reaction score
Im in Maine. Its a crew cab i dont know what the package is called but its got every option except navigation and tailgate step. It has hood graphics,power heated seats, moon roof,back up camera, upgraded sony stereo package power mirrors, tow package, etc. Only mods ive done were put a Flowmaster muffler on it and mid perch shocks, everything else is stock and the truck has been babied. Never any accidents tires rotated every 5k miles and only synthetic oil used every 3k miles. Its pretty much immaculate besides a couple very light bed scratches from putting bags of mulch in it. Its still under warranty i bought it new last June 2012 im the only owner. Thanks for the advise yea i'll have to list it on this forum.

Edit: I cant list it for sale on here i dont have 50 posts yet. I dunno im not gonna just spam a bunch of threads posting nonsense just to get my post count up.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post up some pics and see what happens...sorry you are selling your truck...

I would guess a good selling point would be your truck is still. Under warranty? Do you have an extended warranty with the truck?

Do you have a link to your add on Autotrader?

Tautog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade in

Im in Maine. Its a crew cab i dont know what the package is called but its got every option except navigation and tailgate step. It has power heated seats, moon roof,back up camera, upgraded sony stereo package power mirrors, tow package, etc. Only mods ive done were put a Flowmaster muffler on it and mid perch shocks, everything else is stock and the truck has been babied. Never any accidents tires rotated every 5k miles and only synthetic oil used every 3k miles. Its pretty much immaculate besides a couple very light bed scratches from putting bags of mulch in it. Thanks for the advise yea i'll have to list it on this forum.

Edit: I cant list it for sale on here i dont have 50 posts yet. I dunno im not gonna just spam a bunch of threads posting nonsense just to get my post count up.
just traded mine at dealer for a 2014 f250 diesel lariat, they gave me 43000, 12 scab 28000 miles, no roof or stickers . Had everything else. I get Z plan so it was well worth it for me.

D

Deleted member 12951

I agree with you, it shouldn't matter if it's paid off or not. If they gave you $42k, they would just pay off the loan and give you a check for $15k. I was talking to my brother who was in the used car business for 15+ years and he said if you want to get the closest to what trade is going to be then use Edmonds.com. They still aren't accurate but best to get hold of someone who has access to auction prices like the MMR. Then a dealer will always be jerks and even try to go lower, they always do.

OP
OP
Jay

Jay

Reaction score
The other problem i was thinking i would have if i went the trade in route was basically im looking to get another vehicle for around 45-47k pretty much what mine books for..i dunno i dont see them even wanting to take my truck for an even trade unless i trade up.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should just sell it yourself any, time a dealer is involved its no benefit to you as their main objective is to make money.

schaibaa

Reaction score
I think you should just sell it yourself any, time a dealer is involved its no benefit to you as their main objective is to make money.

Some states have tax incentives with trade ins that could be equal or similar to selling outright. Also dealers don't care if you "trade up". They will just cut you a check if necessary.