Setup for drag racing on dirt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there are a few trucks i know of that are faster, being that the truck market is small in terms of variety, there isnt much to compare to.

Stock trucks sure.

But the JDM tune is very strong, and I have SPD turbo adapters, AFE intake, AFE high side tube, Whipple intercooler, better plugs, the JDM tune, ETC. Its pretty fast with these bolt ons for sure.

Im curious to see how the heavy but very powerful diesels will do.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but achieving the highest performance on dirt is different than tarmac. Many times it is faster to spinout because that action sweeps the loose surface material and gets the tires down to the hard-pack underneath. Rally cars spin their tires like mad around every corner because that achieves the most grip.

The other thing to consider is if there is a hard surface underneath, you want to go last (or as late as you can) so the other vehicles sweep the loose surface dirt for you.

If you get practice runs, try pinning it with the tires spinning and compare that time to throttle modulation that keeps the tires from spinning. A lot depends on the surface, but often spinning (within reason) produces the fastest times.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock trucks sure.

But the JDM tune is very strong, and I have SPD turbo adapters, AFE intake, AFE high side tube, Whipple intercooler, better plugs, the JDM tune, ETC. Its pretty fast with these bolt ons for sure.

Im curious to see how the heavy but very powerful diesels will do.

was in response to someone elses post. tires will be a major part in your drag. what tires you running?

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
was in response to someone elses post. tires will be a major part in your drag. what tires you running?

They are Goodyear Duratracs, 35x12.5's. I estimate they are 1/3 through their life cycle, plenty of good tread left. The area is the same as where they do the truck pulls I am pretty sure.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but achieving the highest performance on dirt is different than tarmac. Many times it is faster to spinout because that action sweeps the loose surface material and gets the tires down to the hard-pack underneath. Rally cars spin their tires like mad around every corner because that achieves the most grip.

The other thing to consider is if there is a hard surface underneath, you want to go last (or as late as you can) so the other vehicles sweep the loose surface dirt for you.

If you get practice runs, try pinning it with the tires spinning and compare that time to throttle modulation that keeps the tires from spinning. A lot depends on the surface, but often spinning (within reason) produces the fastest times.

I doubt Ill have any practice runs or any choice in when I go. Another user said they did double elimination last year so hopefully I get a few runs at it. I agree on wheel speed being your friend.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, thanks for all the advice everyone. My current plan is:

-TC/SC off
-auto tranny
-baja mode
-rear end locked
-4x4
-I estimate around 5 gallons of 93 left in the tank, I am going to add 5 more gallons of 98, should leave me with roughly 95.5 octane.
-~20 psi in the tires
-Brake boost to ~2500 rpm, then WOT