Setup for drag racing on dirt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking for opinions/techniques on drag racing on dirt. The local fair is having a drag race night on dirt and Ill be running the raptor.

I have a fair amount of legit drag racing experience in cars, but this is clearly different. I dont know the specifics, but Im assuming there will be no tree, more of a drop the hands kinda thing.

Im thinking baja mode, diff locked, traction and stability off, manual mode. Probably short shift first and Im not sure Ill even get out of second, I am also assuming its a short run.

Probably air down the tires? How low?

I have tried a few brake boosted launches on dirt and it seems to come out of the hole okay until it blows the tires off when boost kicks in.

Truck is not stock, JDM tuned, plugs, IC, intake, turbo adapters, deavers, etc.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would air down to 12-15 psi, sport mode, traction control off, 4WD, Tranny in Automatic, build a little bit of boost at the line, then stomp on it and don't let up till it's over.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would air down to 12-15 psi, sport mode, traction control off, 4WD, Tranny in Automatic, build a little bit of boost at the line, then stomp on it and don't let up till it's over.

12-15 eh? Thats quite low.

I run 35x12.5 duratracs, I think they will hook up okay.

I dont think Ill go for auto, redline in first isnt the way to go, I think you lose some time there.

Ive heard theres a Subaru STI that wins every year, so it will be a tough race I'm sure.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
12-15 eh? Thats quite low.

I run 35x12.5 duratracs, I think they will hook up okay.

I dont think Ill go for auto, redline in first isnt the way to go, I think you lose some time there.

Ive heard theres a Subaru STI that wins every year, so it will be a tough race I'm sure.
The sti will win again this year, bet the truck will surprise a lot of people.