Sensation of tires rubbing at full lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinh

Reaction score
When turning FULL lock and at slow speeds (like in/out of parking spots) it feels like my tries are rubbing (they aren’t).

This is a fairly new issue and I can’t seem to come up with anything other than I’ve recently used 4a and 4hi several times.

It doesn’t feel like the bucking of turning a 4x4 on asphalt. Just like tires rubbing.

Any thoughts?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It could be the IWE system. Were you in 2 hi when this happened?
Also, was the vehicle up to operating temp, or still cold?

I seem to recall that the IWE system keeps the hubs engaged during cold operation up to a certain point, and then ‘disengages’.

Is the behavior the same in 2H as it is in 4A ?

OP
OP
J

justinh

Reaction score
It could be the IWE system. Were you in 2 hi when this happened?
Also, was the vehicle up to operating temp, or still cold?

I seem to recall that the IWE system keeps the hubs engaged during cold operation up to a certain point, and then ‘disengages’.

Is the behavior the same in 2H as it is in 4A ?

That’s definitely an interesting thought given this cold snap. I don’t recall feeling it before but my wife and son drove my truck this weekend in the city with lots of low speed tight turns and called and asked “what’s wrong with your truck?” I drove it the next morning and figured out what they were referring to when at full lock.

I don’t know how people with cold weather live with these things. We have a 2007 and 2017 and both had the doors frozen this week. It’s amazing that ford doesn’t seem to fix this stuff across several generations of trucks.

mobob

Reaction score
Lower ball joints going bad? At slow speeds my tire was barely rubbing by the upper ball joint when the lowers were going out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s definitely an interesting thought given this cold snap. I don’t recall feeling it before but my wife and son drove my truck this weekend in the city with lots of low speed tight turns and called and asked “what’s wrong with your truck?” I drove it the next morning and figured out what they were referring to when at full lock.

I don’t know how people with cold weather live with these things. We have a 2007 and 2017 and both had the doors frozen this week. It’s amazing that ford doesn’t seem to fix this stuff across several generations of trucks.
Are you referring to the door latch being frozen or the door itself? We had 2 degrees and snow here recently and there were plenty of people with doors frozen shut across all males and models. That’s not a design issue, it’s environmental.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you referring to the door latch being frozen or the door itself? We had 2 degrees and snow here recently and there were plenty of people with doors frozen shut across all males and models. That’s not a design issue, it’s environmental.
I was going to say pretty much the same thing. EVERYBODY'S doors froze shut in a huge geographic area in the last week, no matter who made your vehicle. We went from 51 and raining to near zero in about 6 hours. That will freeze anything that's parked outside.

OP
OP
J

justinh

Reaction score
It was actually both initially. But once I was able to open the doors the first time that wasn’t an issue again, the latches stayed frozen on the back doors for nearly 3 days.