Sell Or Hold!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ Knipper

Reaction score
Driving a '17 Raptor that I picked up a year ago and just KBB'd her to find out that I could trade in for around $60-63k... am I crazy not to pocket that money and try and get into a new '21 with, potentially, $8k extra in my pocket??

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving a '17 Raptor that I picked up a year ago and just KBB'd her to find out that I could trade in for around $60-63k... am I crazy not to pocket that money and try and get into a new '21 with, potentially, $8k extra in my pocket??
Not crazy at all. As long as you can find somewhere to order from with options you want and aren’t going to charge a huge adm that eats up those profits. I would find that first. Get your name in on an order and secure that. Then dump the old take the money and run.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How are you going to get 8k in your pocket? Are you thinking you can find a Gen 3 Raptor for $55k, or some other '21 vehicle for $55k?

OP
OP
C

CJ Knipper

Reaction score
How are you going to get 8k in your pocket? Are you thinking you can find a Gen 3 Raptor for $55k, or some other '21 vehicle for $55k?
Sorry I shouldn't have used that phrase like that, I just meant that I bought the '17 for $55k and now I'm going to sell for $63k... not necessarily $8k in my pocket as much as just an extra 'free' $8k for something else.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sell it! used car market is crazy right now. GEN2 prices will drop as soon as GEN3 trucks hit the street.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I shouldn't have used that phrase like that, I just meant that I bought the '17 for $55k and now I'm going to sell for $63k... not necessarily $8k in my pocket as much as just an extra 'free' $8k for something else.

Ah, that makes more sense. But you aren't making any money if selling the Raptor means you are going to turn around and buy a vehicle then more than you're selling. Assuming you want a base model Gen 3 with no add ons (probably a bad assumption), you're paying $65k for it if you're lucky. So you're paying $2k + taxes and such, so it's a nice little upgrade maybe. However, I would bet the value of your new base Gen 3 is the same or below what your Gen 2 was. Not much economic gain. The reality is that you aren't getting a base model, you're paying a lot more. You're probably down $20k from the deal at least. And I would bet that trading in a Gen 2 for a Gen 3 next year isn't likely to be that much different in price difference.

Maybe you're getting a more reliable vehicle, because it's new...but the Gen 3 could potentially be buggy, being first year and all. But the reason to do it is because you really want a Gen 3 right now, not because you think there's a big economic advantage right now.

VizTuL

Reaction score
Not sure that I agree with the above logic, but to each his own. I personally think it's a no-brainer to make the move, especially with the values of the Gen 2 where they are currently. If you can sell now and deal with the wait it makes sense. During my wait, I'm going to build up an 80-series Land Cruiser for fun.