Scraping sound at high speed only when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed a scraping sound when I speed up at speeds above 50mph. Sounds like it is coming from the front left hub assembly but I just replaced the hubs about 3 months ago. It is a grinding sound and only happens when I hit the gas. Any ideas?

Thanks!

C

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just noticed a scraping sound when I speed up at speeds above 50mph. Sounds like it is coming from the front left hub assembly but I just replaced the hubs about 3 months ago. It is a grinding sound and only happens when I hit the gas. Any ideas?

Thanks!

C

What year is the truck?

Grinding from the front hubs under acceleration indicates that you're losing vacuum to the IWEs. That can be caused by a number of things including a leaking vacuum line, faulty check valve, leaking solenoid, leaking vacuum reservoir, etc.

If you are out of warranty, you can diagnose the system pretty easily with a basic vacuum pump from harbor freight.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Will be working on it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard to replace those?

check the line to see if its damaged. mine had visible damage. its simple to replace the hose. the oem hose is 2 hoses molded into 1. looks like an 8. i bought 2 hoses since they were different size and i couldnt find the oem style anywhere.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9e7029442f53c41f91396af70dd19204.jpg
Do you just disconnect it here? And then test both directions?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think you should. the 4wd vacuum system works by using vacuum pressure to engage 2wd. it defaults to 4wd when theres no vacuum pressure. a quick test would be to drive in 4wd and see if the noise goes away. just do it in a straight line though. dont want to turn on pavement in 4wd