SCAB vs SCREW TOWING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRick73

Reaction score
The trailer towing capacity just doesn’t make sense! I have been pulling my travel trailer with my 04’ 4x4 Expedition. It has a 5.4 V8 and it has a max towing of #8650. It has IRS suspension, 260HP, 350 ft# torque with a 3.73 rear end. I just got my 2019 scab Raptor and it has a max towing of #6000. It’s wheel base is 15” longer than the Expedition so that blows the wheelbase theory. It has far less HP and torque.
I think The Ford Engineers have the numbers screwed up. I haven’t towed my trailer with my Raptor yet but my expectations are it should kick my old Expedition’s ass. If it doesn’t, I guess I will be selling either the Raptor or the trailer? Thanks for all the previous posts. I will post my results after my first trip pulling my trailer.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the suspension.... and the wheel base. The truck isn't going to break if you tow 8000 lbs. heck I doubt it would break with 10000 with a proper set up. Towing tests and ratings are more then just testing the mechanical capacity of the hardware, its also about safely executing the task. The SCAB probably had some stability issues at 8000 lbs during their tests. I towed 10000lbs across the country with my old screw and it was fine. I only found out it was 10k after I weighed the trailer at my destination. But the truck went on for another 50k till I sold it without issues.

Urban

Reaction score
Id like to occasionally tow my GTR to track days but with a scab, seems like its pushing it. 3700 + 2200 trailer is cutting it close. Has anyone on here towed a car with a scab? Cant seem to find any pictures anywhere. Would like to know some light weight trailer options out there.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a good weight distro hitch and dont go throwing it around corners and drive conservative and you should be fine. Also is your gtr stripped? My OEM 2015 black edition weighed 3900lbs... fyi the 2019 scab now is rated at 6650 lbs... that's insight into what was the limiting factor... live valves are probably a more stable platform for towing.

Urban

Reaction score
15EB1C5D-6228-4080-8149-7117A9CEB139.jpeg
Just get a good weight distro hitch and dont go throwing it around corners and drive conservative and you should be fine. Also is your gtr stripped? My OEM 2015 black edition weighed 3900lbs... fyi the 2019 scab now is rated at 6650 lbs... that's insight into what was the limiting factor... live valves are probably a more stable platform for towing.

My ‘12 BE GTR isnt stripped, but i do have a good deal of weight taken off. Between carbon ceramic brakes, seats, and a bunch of carbon, the 3700 was just a guess...and where do you see 6650? Fords site still shows 6000.

At the time of post, i was looking at airbagtrailers for one but their trailers are steel (2200lbs). I ended up finding ventura trailers made of aluminum and 1000lbs lighter. Funny, they even have a Gen1 scab in their product video. Guess my choice was made easy just doing alittle research.

https://www.futuratrailers.com/--item-detail-pro-us

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This issue regarding the Raptors low tow rating keeps popping up...and each time I'm surprised at how so many people simply don't get it...It has long soft suspension..Period!
You bought a truck whose primary goal was to go fast over rough terrain, why would you expect it to tow like a truck that can't?
Did you guys with tow issues not do ANY homework about the vehicle you were buying?..."Hey man that's a bad-ass looking truck!...i gotta get one of those..."

The truck will squat more in the rear...so what?...it's got a beefier frame, a beefier rear axle, 4:10 gears, and a HO engine...all the stuff you would love to have for towing!

I'll be right back...got to find my flame proof suit...:)