Rumor: The Ford F-150 Raptor Is Getting the Mustang GT500's Supercharged V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the naturally aspirated 7.3 at 450hp and 450 lb-ft for reasonable money (no reason it should be any more than a 3.5 ecoboost really) to a ridiculously boosted 5.2 at 700hp and 650lb-ft for ridiculous money. No way that truck is on a dealer lot without a sticker that is deep into the $80Ks. Oh yeah, and then a $10,000 ADM on top of that.

I can see the TRX coming out with whatever power figure and then Ford releasing a limited run of these things with 5 more horsepower than the Ram just for bragging rights.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, no one is going to be lucky enough to get one of these for $70k. My guess is $90k MSRP....and then the inevitable $20k ADM. Most buyers will be forking over six figures for this beast.

oh for sure there will be a markup, especially if they limit these to a last year run. I'm just being conservative with my number.

gdestiny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I love my 18, I would love a chance to buy one of these. I don’t see how Ford can fall behind Dodge in this market segment. Keeping my fingers crossed for this beast.

Ashton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may happen, buts it really going to cost a lot more money. The power train upgrades alone to handle 700+ hp will have to diesel like in strength. Adding a lot of weight. The truck power train and frame would have to completely redesign to handle that motor reliability. That’s a whole other supply chain issue for a very limited run. Plus the mustang sits 6” off the ground, with big stickey tires that won’t last 20k if driven hard.
That kind of power in a 5K truck would be crazy to even keep the tires hooked up. In all but the best road conditions I can break my tires loose. Car and truck sales are really slowing down now days, and by 2020-21 are going to be even worse. I know it will be a high profit truck but they have to sell a lot of them just to get back R&D. With a starting sticker of at least 90k, not sure how that would it going down much longer.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As skeptical as I am that Ford will go back to a V8...their halo vehicle and world endurance series race cars run an ecoboost V6 afterall...I’m really hoping this is true.

Even though Ford still produces a V8 F150 (and the only reason I think this rumor might possibly be real), I can’t see them switching the entire Raptor production line; the retooling costs would far exceed the ROI. I can see a limited run of “Raptor R” trucks (or whatever designation they choose) done on a specialty line; maybe even outsourced to one of their factory-sponsored partners like Rousch.

Or maybe they finally get it and understand that despite the best styling/looks in the truck world today, they see that there’s still a very strong demand for that visceral connection to these trucks that only a V8 can deliver. I love my ecoboost ‘18 Leadfoot, but would jump on a V8 model in a heartbeat if I could get it from the factory in the Supercab/5.5’ bed configuration with our remarkable Raptor suspension.

Even better for me personally would be an overland/expedition Raptor model, again in the Supercab and 5.5’ bed body configuration, with stiffer springs (get rid of the ridiculous blocks in the back) and factory air shock stiffeners (or maybe air bags) that could be disconnected when not running a heavy load, along with huge dual fuel tanks that still fit under the short bed paired with the V6 turbodiesel running a mild tune for ~1K mile “highway” range.

Last edited:

LeCreaux

Reaction score
They better redesign the interior as well if they think they're going to compete with the TRX.

The problem with RAM is access to maintenance. Here in Texas you can't even get INTO a dealership for warranty work, recalls, etc. They're always "months behind". I've owned Jeeps for many years and loved the product but hated that maintenance just can't be had. Was the main factor in switching to the Raptor.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
imo the uconnect is better than the sync 3.

Definitely. I've had Uconnect in three Jeeps and also rate it far superior to Sync 3. It's in the "just works" category, everything is intuitive, and it knows how to do daylight savings time.

But I still absolutely love my Raptor even with Sync 3. The styling on the Raptor made me forsake Jeep and the ride quality is better in my opinion. Wish it could turn on a dime and have Uconnect, but can't have everything.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer the naturally aspirated 7.3 at 450hp and 450 lb-ft for reasonable money (no reason it should be any more than a 3.5 ecoboost really) to a ridiculously boosted 5.2 at 700hp and 650lb-ft for ridiculous money. No way that truck is on a dealer lot without a sticker that is deep into the $80Ks. Oh yeah, and then a $10,000 ADM on top of that.

I can see the TRX coming out with whatever power figure and then Ford releasing a limited run of these things with 5 more horsepower than the Ram just for bragging rights.

Don’t hold your breath. New engine with less power probably isn’t high on Fords list of priorities or the majority of prospective Raptor buyers for that matter.

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for some reason don’t put much stake in this. The timing of this announcement seems to be the hardest to believe.

This came the exact same week the big car magazine’s we’re all reporting spy shots of the Ram Trx. That timing doesn’t make sense to me. Ford would likely wait to see what dodge is actually putting out then respond with an equally as crazy vehicle.

Additionally if this is real, Ford would be seriously hurting their 2019 and 2020 sales.

Ford also recently made an announcement (I believe in the fall), that they would not be putting a V8 in the gen2.

But.... if it is true .... I will buy one