Rumor: The Ford F-150 Raptor Is Getting the Mustang GT500's Supercharged V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As skeptical as I am that Ford will go back to a V8...their halo vehicle and world endurance series race cars run an ecoboost V6 afterall...I’m really hoping this is true.

Even though Ford still produces a V8 F150 (and the only reason I think this rumor might possibly be real), I can’t see them switching the entire Raptor production line; the retooling costs would far exceed the ROI. I can see a limited run of “Raptor R” trucks (or whatever designation they choose) done on a specialty line; maybe even outsourced to one of their factory-sponsored partners like Rousch.

Or maybe they finally get it and understand that despite the best styling/looks in the truck world today, they see that there’s still a very strong demand for that visceral connection to these trucks that only a V8 can deliver. I love my ecoboost ‘18 Leadfoot, but would jump on a V8 model in a heartbeat if I could get it from the factory in the Supercab/5.5’ bed configuration with our remarkable Raptor suspension.

Even better for me personally would be an overland/expedition Raptor model, again in the Supercab and 5.5’ bed body configuration, with stiffer springs (get rid of the ridiculous blocks in the back) and factory air shock stiffeners (or maybe air bags) that could be disconnected when not running a heavy load, along with huge dual fuel tanks that still fit under the short bed paired with the V6 turbodiesel running a mild tune for ~1K mile “highway” range.

I’m not sure doing this as as large of an undertaking as you’re thinking. The 5.2 already exists and we already know a V8 fits under the hood of an F150, we also know Ford has a beefed up 10 speed tranny which this unicorn Raptor would undoubtedly get with this much power.

Either way, I hope this happens. I don’t know if I’ll be buying one, my best guess is 1.5x the cost of a standard but fully loaded raptor and I don’t know if I want that much money tied up into a car, especially if it’s happening in a current gen Raptor. I’m currently eyeing 2024 for my next raptor. That should be when the 3rd model year of the next gen become available. But by then they may be going Electric or plug in hybrid. Who knows.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. I'm gonna wait till it goes full electric so there's no talk about how it sounds.. maybe it'll have a solar panel so it charges when you stop to have lunch in the dirt.

Kidding... I would love a V8, but like most are saying on here, would be waaayy up there in price, and if it is to be limited.. gonna be a bigger premium on it than current ones had.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As skeptical as I am that Ford will go back to a V8...their halo vehicle and world endurance series race cars run an ecoboost V6 afterall...I’m really hoping this is true.

Even though Ford still produces a V8 F150 (and the only reason I think this rumor might possibly be real), I can’t see them switching the entire Raptor production line; the retooling costs would far exceed the ROI. I can see a limited run of “Raptor R” trucks (or whatever designation they choose) done on a specialty line; maybe even outsourced to one of their factory-sponsored partners like Rousch.

Or maybe they finally get it and understand that despite the best styling/looks in the truck world today, they see that there’s still a very strong demand for that visceral connection to these trucks that only a V8 can deliver. I love my ecoboost ‘18 Leadfoot, but would jump on a V8 model in a heartbeat if I could get it from the factory in the Supercab/5.5’ bed configuration with our remarkable Raptor suspension.

Even better for me personally would be an overland/expedition Raptor model, again in the Supercab and 5.5’ bed body configuration, with stiffer springs (get rid of the ridiculous blocks in the back) and factory air shock stiffeners (or maybe air bags) that could be disconnected when not running a heavy load, along with huge dual fuel tanks that still fit under the short bed paired with the V6 turbodiesel running a mild tune for ~1K mile “highway” range.
Perhaps they won't do it with a V8, but match RAM by using the Ecoboost coupled to an electric motor. That way, they can get the HP of the RAM and need less engineering to get there.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
Honestly I may go back to Ram. My '12 1500 Sport had two broken exhaust studs in 60K miles or so and that was it. It was a dead reliable truck. And the new Ram 1500's interior blows away all competition. The Hellcat engine is proven over the last few years as well. The 5.2, even though it wouldn't be a flat plane crank comes out of the GT350 and that car has dog shit reliability.

Not only that but Ford dealers play games with the whole limited availability ******** with consequent ADM crap. Chrysler did what they could to keep their dealers at bay with ADM on the Hellcats. I respect that. Ford doesn't try to prevent their dealers from bending people over, they actually create the customers aggravation in the market.

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally ! Performance Blue Supercab with 5.2 SC V8 please . All the naysayers said v8 would never happen LOL . I was hoping for the 5.0 this is even better . You can thank the TRX for this one.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly I may go back to Ram. My '12 1500 Sport had two broken exhaust studs in 60K miles or so and that was it. It was a dead reliable truck. And the new Ram 1500's interior blows away all competition. The Hellcat engine is proven over the last few years as well. The 5.2, even though it wouldn't be a flat plane crank comes out of the GT350 and that car has dog shit reliability.

Not only that but Ford dealers play games with the whole limited availability ******** with consequent ADM crap. Chrysler did what they could to keep their dealers at bay with ADM on the Hellcats. I respect that. Ford doesn't try to prevent their dealers from bending people over, they actually create the customers aggravation in the market.
If everyone refused to pay over msrp the dealers would have no choice but to sell at msrp or less. People willing to pay more are the ones to blame!! *********

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
If everyone refused to pay over msrp the dealers would have no choice but to sell at msrp or less. People willing to pay more are the ones to blame!! *********

I've never paid ADM on any vehicle. Ford dealers are notorious in this practice on their so called 'limited edition' old SVT and Ford Performance vehicles. This time around they're going to have competition with Ram so hopefully it won't be so egregious this time.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never paid ADM on any vehicle. Ford dealers are notorious in this practice on their so called 'limited edition' old SVT and Ford Performance vehicles. This time around they're going to have competition with Ram so hopefully it won't be so egregious this time.
I wasn’t implying you personally. It was aimed at those who pay more.