RPG's "Stage 3 Kit": National Spring Leaf Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have 4WD ¾-ton pickups for hauling heavy loads. I have two questions about the Stage 3 conversion:

1) Is there only one spring choice? You mentioned an "HD spring". Is that the National Spring that is "Stage 3", or is it one of two National springs?

2) So, if my goal is running quickly down washboard dirt roads, I should go with Stage 2 and stick with the stock springs? I know I prefer softer springs/long travel on that kind of surface. That's why the Raptor is so appealing to me.

First off, Big J you are the man. Great write up.

With regards to the leaf springs. We have the Standard Duty and the HD version. The standard duty set-up is designed for the person who is going to do 90% of his driving with an empty bed, or an extra tire and tool kit with a few pounds when playing in the dirt.

Both versions of springs are set at the same progression rate. The difference between the two is the 2 main leafs. They are designed to cope with the extra payload.

Now, if you are running down a fast wash or whoop section the Standard duty springs with a 100-200 extra pounds in the bed would be the way to go. It will soak the wash up much more than the OE leafs ever could. But, if you are running the HD version with no weight in the bed, you will feel more of the bumps, but the progression of the spring is still the same.

However, the minute you add a full chase rack, a bunch of camping gear or whatever, you will then have the same cushy ride as the Standard version because of the extra weight.

To clarify for everyone,

Standard version = higher performance for those that with an empty bed or 1-200lbs.

The HD version = higher payload and perfect for the guy like (RaptorAddict) who always has 500-850lbs in the bed at all times.

This doesn't mean you can't throw a payload on the Standard versions for a short amount of time. We personally have had 1400lbs of leaf springs in the bed of our truck and she popped right back up after a 70 mile drive (note: this is not recommended or in any way us saying a 1400lbs payload is ok).

When choosing between the two, really ask yourself how you guys plan on using the truck. For the vast majority of us, the standards are the way to go. But if you are into long pre-runs with lots of weight and camping trips like Big J, then the HD's might be better.

Hope this helps you guys understand a little more about the two versions

Thanks and fire away with questions.

Jarrett

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

P1000483.jpg

So when do those Grabbers go on? :D

Already on brotha.

pappawheely

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you drop the tank aren't there more gas fumes around? IMHO, I would cut the bolt with a diamond blade sawzall with the tank in place.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you drop the tank aren't there more gas fumes around? IMHO, I would cut the bolt with a diamond blade sawzall with the tank in place.

I don't think so? No lines are removed and the filler neck is always sealed. And more importantly, there's no sparks anyway since you're not cutting at that point.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lance is that question for me? If so, I think you're thinking Deavers? These are National Springs custom designed and spec'd by RPG. As far as I know, RPG offers them in two flavors only: Standard Duty and Heavy Duty. I have the HDs.

Hope that helps.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to break this install up into two different threads because the issues addressed by each stage are quite different. Where Stage 2 fixes and solves frame, axle hop and duckwalk issues, Stage 3 (Stage 3 kit) is all about improving off road performance and handling by introducing RPG’s custom National Spring leaf springs.

Great write up and congrats on the new hardware.

How does a frame support and bump stop improve axle hop ?