Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How will a mid perch effect the ride? I have been tempted but was unsure of what the outcome would be. I called Fox and they told me the shocks were designed for how they come from the factory.

And they are correct (verified by Jamal chief engineer for the Raptor), it is designed from the factory to be at bottom perch. With that being said, mid perch has a little more preload and makes the front a tid bit stiffer. At the same time it also prevents destroying skid plate on jumps..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first drove mine I thought it was awful as well until I found out that the dealership put 50 psi in the tires during PDI. Now they are aired down to 34 psi much better. I also changed the shocks to Icon 3.0's and that solved a lot of the annoyances the Fox shocks were causing.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see it as a rough rider...

For a truck with 35" tires ...the ride is well like a limp ****...hard to beat...IMO

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will a mid perch effect the ride? I have been tempted but was unsure of what the outcome would be. I called Fox and they told me the shocks were designed for how they come from the factory.

Like SquattingDog said, it'll be a little bit stiffer. But where I notice it most on the road is at stops. The nose dove too much IMO at bottom perch.

With a 2013 you also have to think about the Torsen. With 2010-11s I haven't heard any issues with mid-perch. Only time will tell on the 2012-13s.

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the raptor for about a year and forgot how different one rides from a regular truck,i just had to drive my stepdads new chevy for a few miles on the farm and thought the ride was so soft and comfy on the road and going very slow off road.But then again when i am in the raptor i dont think of dirt roads as any different then paved roads i just go the same speeds.i gave my mother a ride in the truck the other day and took a shortcut where the paved road ends and a dirt road starts,i was going prob 55-60 and never let off and she looked at me and said it rides so good offroad,You could really get into trouble in this,it handles almost to good on dirt and bumps.i never really thought of it that way.But i guess it comes down to what is the most important to you on road handling or off road.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that the little bumps are noticeable with the stock suspension. However, hit a few big bumps(even with stock Fox shocks) and you will see what the suspension is made for. Gravel roads = win for ride quality. I take about a mile of gravel road shortcut every morning to drop off daughter at school. In my Lariat i ran it at about 45. In the Raptor 70-75 is great. Also, the ride is subjective. Wife and I put 1900+ miles on ours in 5 days the week we got it. We both thought it was the best road trip vehicle we have owned. If you are not happy, check out the Icons. Everybody raves about them. They are on my mod list too.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Military humvees are the same way. Rough as hell on the open road but as soon as you get off the beaten path it's like floating on a cloud (at least compared to the hard road). It wasn't designed to be a street queen.