Rough idle in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben2k9

Reaction score
I've got about 700 miles on my new raptor. I noticed this right after refueling recently. When in drive and stopped, the engine has started to idle noticeably rougher. If i shift into neutral or park it goes away. Anyone else noticed this or have any ideas?

OP
OP
ben2k9

ben2k9

Reaction score
that of course crossed my mind, because for once in my life I bought the middle grade fuel. I don't know why. And it occurred to me: who buys this stuff? Most people would either buy regular or premium, so maybe the middle grade sits for a while and goes bad or gets contaminated.

But - I noticed the issue pretty much right after I fueled up, and I didn't think the new fuel could make it to the engine THAT quickly, so my working assumption was that the fuel stop was coincidental. Wouldn't it take at least a few miles before new fuel made it through the fuel lines?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you got some bad fuel. The new fuel will mix with your existing fuel and contaminate it. In the case of diesels, simply starting the truck with contaminated fuel in the tank requires fuel system replacement.

Where did you get the fuel from? I try to only buy from Top Tier stations, namely Costco.

OP
OP
ben2k9

ben2k9

Reaction score
I will give it some time then and wait until near empty and refuel with premium and see if that helps. Never had a problem with this gas station before and it’s a very busy station, but I guess these things happen. I would love to refuel at Costco but there’s usually too long of lines there.

koyojo

Reaction score
Mine has rough idle as well. I am at 2200mi, all but first tank was premium gas. So if you get any insight, please let us know