Roof rack light build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asp007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks great! I don't believe it is necessary to place any vertical supports within the oval tubular steel frame. Unless, you are using those vertical supports for the individual light support. But based on the photos, I'm just concerned about the light rack's anchor points on your roof. Great job.

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It looks great! I don't believe it is necessary to place any vertical supports within the oval tubular steel frame. Unless, you are using those vertical supports for the individual light support. But based on the photos, I'm just concerned about the light rack's anchor points on your roof. Great job.
I went round and round with this. Ever my single light bar I look at, evil manufacturing, KC, rigid...they all use two nutserts on each little mount. So I figured I’d make my plates 27” long with 4 bolts each side. I’m sill considering putting a small weld on them too to make sure the don’t pull out.

There is also another heimed link that goes from the top of the oval to the back bump on the mount. To keep it from rotating as well as to do easy adjustment of beam angle.

I don’t understand how any of those other racks stay put up there

69736C08-ADD2-4F4C-8148-E7DDDD0E3BF0.jpeg

0B2CADCF-197C-48AB-94DB-4551A2D4FBE5.jpeg

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooof I hope those brackets hold or you're gonna be out a windshield. I dig the design but I would have put it on the back side of the cab, you've already got the cubes up front to illuminate the area in front of the truck so having them project light from the rear wouldn't really be a downfall. Plus anytime you extend anything outward it becomes a force multiplier...just my two cents. As far as the bars go Id say do whatever you think looks best I don't think with the tubular steel you're going to have much movement that you'll need to brace for.

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ooof I hope those brackets hold or you're gonna be out a windshield. I dig the design but I would have put it on the back side of the cab, you've already got the cubes up front to illuminate the area in front of the truck so having them project light from the rear wouldn't really be a downfall. Plus anytime you extend anything outward it becomes a force multiplier...just my two cents. As far as the bars go Id say do whatever you think looks best I don't think with the tubular steel you're going to have much movement that you'll need to brace for.
trust me a i was quite concerned with this as well. i just dont get how the KC rack stays up, my mounts are twice the size of theirs and 3x the mounting bolts.

upload_2020-10-8_10-54-8.png

like how do these stay on?

https://www.kchilites.com/gravity-reg-led-pro6-09-16-ford-raptor-8-light-combo-led-light-bar.html

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, nice work! That looks great. If I was making this I'd put two (max three) vertical bars in to take some structural load off the light mounts in the center. So maybe like this: OOO|OO|OOO if you get my drift.

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, nice work! That looks great. If I was making this I'd put two (max three) vertical bars in to take some structural load off the light mounts in the center. So maybe like this: OOO|OO|OOO if you get my drift.
Really like this idea. Bummer I wish I would have checked here I just went ahead and put in three every 2 lights... def glad I did cause it is so much stronger

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trust me a i was quite concerned with this as well. i just dont get how the KC rack stays up, my mounts are twice the size of theirs and 3x the mounting bolts.

View attachment 153392

like how do these stay on?

https://www.kchilites.com/gravity-reg-led-pro6-09-16-ford-raptor-8-light-combo-led-light-bar.html
Probably the same way my gorhino rack stayed on when offroading...it didn't lol. ****** rattled apart after a couple hours and then nutserts tore out holes in the bedsides.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question is WHY? Unless you are driving in some road to hell or Zombie hunting, why would you need all those lights on the roof? The light reflection is going to blind you If the wind noise from those bars not going to kill you first. I couldn't imagine how load its going to get on the highway. Good luck!

LMAO! "Road to Hell" Ha!

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad someone else said it first but that is fugly for sure. But to each his own......I guess. Hey, if you really are going to be taking the road to Hell, can you livestream it to us?