Replaced phasers twice now blown motor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@benbachh : #Respect.

Great job sticking with it, maintaining your cool, staying mission focused and getting the job DONE.

I’m glad this story is coming to the proper conclusion here.

2ManyHobbies

Reaction score
Just read this whole thread. What a roller coaster ride. Very happy that they took care of you. Not sure if it’s misguided but it makes me feel better about owning a Ford product

RussellG

Reaction score
Just got a call back from ford, they’re covering the whole thing
Man this thread was a hell of a ride reading start to finish. Glad it's being taken care of and happy you can hopefully rest easy. This couldn't have been a fun time for you.

Had it been tuned, I wonder if the story would be different. In my mind, I've basically just said YOLO. FR FMIC going on today and a stage 2 with Goose ordered. If something happens, i'll just try to put it all back stock and see how the story unfolds. For those of us that take care of, modify, and use our vehicles responsibly, it's sad we have to worry so much about it.

OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck should be done by the end of this week! It's crazy that I've forgotten how it drives. From putting 2500-3000 miles a month to not driving it in about 5 months.
I was planning on selling it prior to the motor blowing but now idk.. I basically reset the ODO. Maybe ill just drive it to the ground.

Ecoboo

Reaction score
The cam phaser recall/TSB is related to the locking mechanism which causes a rattle only on cold start. There have not been instances of repeat failures with the updated parts. The only way the phasers could cause engine failure is if they physically came apart, which is extremely unlikely.

This sounds more like a workmanship issue than anything. It is critical that the crank pulley bolt be replaced each time it’s removed and critical that the correct torque procedure is followed. If the crank timing gear is found to be cracked upon disassembly, that’s a clear indication that the bolt was either reused or improperly torqued.

See if you can get the details of the failure, if it’s workmanship then the dealer should be covering the repair.
Hey, I just had my phasers done for the second time - I ignored for a while as it was just on startup but I continued to get a rattle after just startup, same rattle but it just continued. Days after getting my truck back, I ran into a bunch of engine codes, including low oil pressure. They replaced the sensor, for low oil pressure only to come again, to the point they are now telling me my engine is blown - all with it 500km after phasers were replaced. Now, they did not replace the tensioners or chains, but they replaced a gear or guide because it was cracked. Is this what you are referring to above? Is that a workmanship related issue?

Thanks