Red/brown dots all over my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried Simple Green and you may have to go up to 50/50 concentrate,
gets those dots off my plastic fence with no problems.
I only use Simple Green to wash my truck after having my running boards replace from using car wash products with wax in it.

People tell me this is from jet fuel getting dump before landing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesaRaptor

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt try Simple Green, didn't think about it honestly. Some of the suggestion I found involved very diluted bleach to kill the spores. Just by chance I had some Clorox Wipes and gave it a quick rub and they basically dissolved and with very little effort but a lot of time I was able to remove the spores. I did it in small sections, then used Dawn soapy water to wash it off, then dried it , then put on a couple layers of Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax. Like I said, it took the better part of the day, and the cab roof was a real PITA, but the end result was great. Now to keep my truck parked far away from the suspected source of the Alien DNA. I have attached a quick video of the fungus removal to show how easily they came off.

Artillery Fungus vs Clorox Wipes - YouTube

trafficman337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I encountered the red/orange spots on the wife's tri-coat white Explorer. After reading the entries in the Forum, I went out this morning with the intent and purpose to detail her vehicle (especially seeing she has allowed me to buy two Raptors and a GT500 over the last four years!). Anyhow, I have found an easy solution to our "fungus" issue.

Soft Scrub w/Bleach. Yes, wet the car, place a dime's diameter on a micro fiber towel and apply it to the area. Done. However, if you plan on doing anything else on the day you start this, don't bother. This was time consuming, but well worth it. After I was done removing the spots, washed it with Armoral Car Wash and then put a coat of McGuires on it. Looks brand new.

Now, I have to hope it doesn't come back!

BTW, I had no luck with Clorox Wipes (although I could only find bleach free ones), Simple Green, Wesley's Bleach White, Compound, or any other car detailing product. I thought instead of a fungus, it was the pre-emergent chemical our town was putting down before snow. That theory was blown out of the window when the stuff reappeared in mid summer.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
DesaRaptor

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key is bleach, just in very diluted form.
Like you, I hope they stay away now.
So much work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holly crap, three years still haven't waxed mine. And it's never been garaged.

After the Simple Green 20 min hand wash once a month looks like new.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Bleach doesnt kill mold and it's incredibly corrosive. I would find another alternative or at least don't make a habit of it. Who knows what the long term effect could be of lathering your truck up with bleach. On the other hand, I might be overreacting.