Rear Wheel Travel with Leafs, Shocks and Shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScorchedEarth

Reaction score
speaking of bumps, my svc ifp kit just arrived, still not ready to pull the trigger on a set of deavers, but after my last run seems im rubbing pretty nasty even with 315s on 0 offset wheel... might need some +3 afterall.. anybody know if theres any difference in height between a +2 and a +3 with 1'; drop shackle? any negatives to runing a drop shackle????

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The +3 is 1” over stock height. If u run a drop, you’ll be at a deaver +2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Tcm-glx,
I have the RST 16, Deavers, and RPG drop shackles; and have about 7,000 miles on the set up now...
Droop? Try 22 inches! The extended brake lines are the limiting factor; I put on 18" limiting straps, (with welded brackets of 1" top and bottom for a total of 20") .
Be aware that you do need to cut the passenger front of the bed floor so it mirrors the profile of the drivers' side fuel fill relief. There is a panel supplied with the kit to weld over the cut out. Effectively there is no real loss of bed space.
The upper shock mounts are cut off, as are the lower. New lower shock mount brackets are supplied, and the upper mounts are integrated in the bolt on frame brackets as are the bump stops. There are two cross bars to stabilize/reinforce the bolt on brackets, one of them bolts on to a bracket that gets welded on to a frame cross member.
The Fox 3.5's are amazing. They are also wide! I had repeated problems getting all of the parts for my kit, and had the shocks mounted to the original mounts which were cut off and re welded to the spot the missing brackets were later welded to. In day to day driving I managed to rub the sidewall of the drivers' side tire against one of the adjustment tubes. No damage, but black streaks were left. When the kit lower shock mount brackets arrived we cut off the temporary placed original mounts and welded on the kit brackets slightly to the middle of the axle tube about 1/2 inch. I also put on rear wheel spacers. After some fairly rigorous off roading later, no more rubbing.
The workmanship on the kit is amazing. The customer relations not so. I would highly recommend the kit; just buy it from someone other than RPG.

Eddie

Would you mind doing a long term update of your rear setup? This is currently my plan but may go with a 3" if the 3.5's are problematic. Thanks.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Booth9999,
No problems...at all! Since the last post I'm up to about 15,000 miles on the setup, just about 104,000 on the truck.
No evidence of any further rubbing on the shocks. Still a plush ride at low speeds, firming up with speed. Found a one way trail loop nearby and circled it with a friend scouting it out. There's a slight rise 10' over 200 feet immediately followed by a gradual drop over 1/4 mile moderately rough dirt road. Got to the point of the crest to check for anyone else on the loop...backed up about 500 feet and hucked it landing about 40 feet on the down slope. This was the first time launching it; the landing was amazing. Like sitting down hard in a soft chair. I'm pretty sure the rear tires touched down first just a tick before the front end. The front end rebounded with the nose quickly rising slightly but the rear just gently leveled out. My friend yelped and that was the end of the hooning....
I have the Fox 3.0's up front and need to adjust the rebound a click or two. The rears were adjusted by RPG according to my requests...high speed gravel roads, 600# in the bed, stock tire size, and not planning on any big jumps.
Again I am very happy with the 3.5's; and the 3.0's for 99% of my driving...will adjust the rebound on the 3.0's when it's a bit drier.
Again the RPG kit is top notch. They need to give a set of instructions for installation of the RST 16 kit to speed up installation. We did need to open up two bolt holes from 3/8 to 1/2", otherwise everything fit as it should.
You will need to buy and install limiting straps if there is a possibility of doing any jumping...

Eddie