raptor vs. new tundra trd pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl291

Reaction score
I have reservations for both in case one doesn’t show up. The tundra trd pro mpg will likely be 25 mpg which is pretty impressive. The interior is a huge upgrade. People buy Toyota’s because you change the oil/brakes and drive them till the rust out. There are multiple 5.7 tundras over a million miles. However, I was hoping they would have a more off-road stance on the new model. I actually think the truck is lower then the previous model. The tires are undersized. It does have a locking rear diff which is a nice upgrade.

However, after driving a raptor the driving experience is on another level. The off-road prowess is not comparable. If you try hitting the whoops at 50 in a tundra good luck.

In summary if you want to buy a vehicle for day to day activities and light off-roading that you’ll never have to worry about buy the tundra. If you are of the notion you only live once and want a badass factory truck that puts a grin on your face every time you drive it buy the raptor.

Last edited:

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to consider that the T uRd pRo package is just that; a package. Different grille, shocks, and stickers. The Raptor rides on a completely different frame and suspension system. Not only that, but the majority of the body panels are Raptor specific, as well as the powertrain. That's where your extra $20K is going; it's a purpose build baja truck, not a shock upgrade. If you're looking for a T uRd pRo competitor, consider the Tremor.

Once again...compare apples with apples. That means Tremor vs. **** pRo. Not Raptor, since there is no equivalent tundra model.

So why not buy CAT then and support your own country? It makes no sense to buy foreign brands when you have the same or better product made by an American company that employs Americans in high paying jobs, right down to Union manufacturing. FCA plants are Union, which means high wages, $0 deductible health insurance, and profit sharing bonuses. Their headquarters hasn't moved, it's still in Auburn Hills, MI. Toyota and other asian manufacturers with US plants are strictly anti-Union, but all of their Japanese plants are unionized. See any conflict there?

Here are the numbers:
View attachment 331387

The only reason that the timing chains wear out on Gen 1 EcoBoosts is extended oil change intervals or poor quality oil/filters. There are tens of thousands of them with 200k+ miles and no timing chain wear, and they're all built the same. Tundra has significant issues with the A.I.R. system that is approximately $3,000 to fix. Cam tower oil leaks are also extremely common and are just as expensive to repair. I'd say it's good paying work, but it's very involved. And then tend to leak again due to a poor design. The frame rust issues are catastrophic, so much so that Toyota list a $3.4 Billion class action lawsuit for it. And then they had the audacity to state the following "Toyota admitted no liability or wrongdoing in the proposed settlement filed on Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Fernando Olguin in Los Angeles". They made Dana the scaoegoat, which proved to be false when the 4Runners, which are built in Japan with a different frame supplier, experience the same issue. Comparing a sample size of 1 is not accurate; if what you're saying was even remotely true, the Tundra would be the #1 pickup in every commercial industry. It's not; F-Series is #1, followed by GM and Ram. There is no bias there, they purchase based on cost to maintain and repair, performance, and longevity.

Here's your "hard life" tundra that can't even keep the cab from hitting the bed in one of Ford's most basic durability tests at Silver Creek:

View attachment 331388

Once again...consider a Tremor or Rebel. Or Trail Boss. Stop supporting the flow of tens of billions of dollars out of this country to a small currency manipulating island.
All great data and insight. I just wish you could diagnose my clunking Gen 3. Completely f—-ing annoying.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All great data and insight. I just wish you could diagnose my clunking Gen 3. Completely f—-ing annoying.
That makes 2 of us! I hate hearing that it's an unresolved and apparently quite widespread issue; as I've mentioned previously the more people that document it with their dealer, (ideally) the faster a resolution will be provided by Ford engineering!

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes 2 of us! I hate hearing that it's an unresolved and apparently quite widespread issue; as I've mentioned previously the more people that document it with their dealer, (ideally) the faster a resolution will be provided by Ford engineering!
Dropping mine off on the 9th at the dealer. They already listened to it and test drove to confirm what I feel/hear and I shared the Youtube vid with them. Hoping there is a fix.

jguerra004

Reaction score
Do you think it's a joke? The Auto industry is one of the last we have left in this country. Perhaps you'd prefer Americans work in foreign owned factories for close to minimum wage and lower the entire country's standard of living?
My goodness do you have a confederate flag flying on your property? Time to chill out.

bjt

Reaction score
So the computer chips Ford is waiting for for F150’s are made in USA ?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I know they don’t truly belong together, but when I see tundra, my mind puts it in the same class as a ridge line. Easy pass, but to each their own if that’s your cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.