raptor vs. new tundra trd pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old toyota hilux 2,5 diesel sold in Europe in the 90's was one the most reliable and strong truck in the world , in the past...

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on the same level. But I will say the new tundra uses the Landcruiser platform (for the first time ever).

Drivability of Toyotas have always lagged behind Ford IMHO. And if the Tundra TRD PRO truly is $65k, you would need to be on a lot of crack to pay that much.

And of course, the above does not apply to the best all around vehicle in existence: The Landcruiser
We are on our 3rd LC 200. My wife loves them. Have not had one issue on any of the 3.

OP
OP
I

ironpeddler

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some more objective comments, but I understand this is a raptor forum and I am a huge fan of the raptor. I also understand that the trd pro is not on the same level as the raptor, and I never stated that it was. But realistically how many people that buy raptors actually use them to their fullest capability? My guess is not many at all. Just like people who buy exotic track cars and never take them to the track one time. Most people would probably not use the tundra to its fullest capability to be honest. And if you aren't ever baja'ing the truck never hurts to have an extra $20k+ in your pocket comparing to a raptor with 37 package. If it is insane to spend $65k(might be high on this estimate) on a Toyota, is it not also insane to spend $85k on a raptor?? Serious question. There is a thread already on here arguing that the raptor is overpriced.

As far a MPG goes, I would assume the new tundra with the v6 twin turbo/hybrid engine will get at least 5 MPG more than the raptor and makes 13 less HP and 73 more torque. What is the average MPG for a raptor with 35's and a raptor with 37's? Can someone chime in there and tell us what kind of MPG you are getting?

As far as buying Japanese goes. I sell Komatsu heavy construction equipment and they are just as good as Cat equipment, they are just not American. I do not see anything wrong with buying Japanese. I wonder who actually manufactures more cars/trucks in the USA? Toyota or Ford? When you buy a Dodge are you buying American or a Fiat? Parent company is called Stellantis, headquarters are in the Netherlands.

As far as reliability goes, from my personal experience. I have a 2012 F150 3.5 ecoboost. At 150k miles I had to replace the engine timing chains and the A/C actuators so my A/C would work correctly again. $10k or so if I remember correctly. Compare that to a Tundra that my company has for work. 200K miles and have had to replace nothing at all, just change the oil and it goes, everything always works all the time. And that truck has been beat the f*ck up by all kinds of different people that don't give a **** about work vehicles. It has had a much harder life that my personal f150.

Money not being an option I would get a raptor 37. It is the pinnacle of that style of truck, much better than the dodge imho. Currently I am thinking of putting a deposit down on both and seeing which actually arrives first and then make a decision. But I am one of those people that probably would never Baja the truck, so I am considering the Tundra and saving the money.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyota is no more reliable than anything else, they’re just outdated. People buy Toyota’s based on the false pretense of “reliability”. The fact that you cite consumer reports is comical; their data is not even statistically significant. You can’t survey only your own subscribers and pretend that data represents the larger population. Remember, CR is the same rag that rated the Pontiac Vibe lower in reliability than the Toyota Matrix. That tells you all you need to know.
Yeah that seems to be the consensus on CR. Depends on who you ask. I’ve always had the mindset that if you maintain your vehicles no matter the brand, they tend to take care of you.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate the “I don’t have to maintain it just change the oil” because vehicles need fluid flushes and spark plug changes and more to keep it rolling like new. Can’t imagine a vehicle with 200k on it with the same same plugs or tranny fluid, brake fluid diff fluid ect….

I’m coming from the Jeep world so I can’t say much since they are the biggest pieces of junk of them all but I did consider the tundra at one point. And unless they have significantly upgraded the interior I’d rather spend the extra $10k and have raptor features once getting into the 60k plus price range. Both the raptor and tundra will keep a high resale value for sure but the tundra would need significant suspension upgrades to keep up with a raptor.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some more objective comments, but I understand this is a raptor forum and I am a huge fan of the raptor. I also understand that the trd pro is not on the same level as the raptor, and I never stated that it was. But realistically how many people that buy raptors actually use them to their fullest capability? My guess is not many at all. Just like people who buy exotic track cars and never take them to the track one time. Most people would probably not use the tundra to its fullest capability to be honest. And if you aren't ever baja'ing the truck never hurts to have an extra $20k+ in your pocket comparing to a raptor with 37 package. If it is insane to spend $65k(might be high on this estimate) on a Toyota, is it not also insane to spend $85k on a raptor?? Serious question. There is a thread already on here arguing that the raptor is overpriced.

As far a MPG goes, I would assume the new tundra with the v6 twin turbo/hybrid engine will get at least 5 MPG more than the raptor and makes 13 less HP and 73 more torque. What is the average MPG for a raptor with 35's and a raptor with 37's? Can someone chime in there and tell us what kind of MPG you are getting?

As far as buying Japanese goes. I sell Komatsu heavy construction equipment and they are just as good as Cat equipment, they are just not American. I do not see anything wrong with buying Japanese. I wonder who actually manufactures more cars/trucks in the USA? Toyota or Ford? When you buy a Dodge are you buying American or a Fiat? Parent company is called Stellantis, headquarters are in the Netherlands.

As far as reliability goes, from my personal experience. I have a 2012 F150 3.5 ecoboost. At 150k miles I had to replace the engine timing chains and the A/C actuators so my A/C would work correctly again. $10k or so if I remember correctly. Compare that to a Tundra that my company has for work. 200K miles and have had to replace nothing at all, just change the oil and it goes, everything always works all the time. And that truck has been beat the f*ck up by all kinds of different people that don't give a **** about work vehicles. It has had a much harder life that my personal f150.

Money not being an option I would get a raptor 37. It is the pinnacle of that style of truck, much better than the dodge imho. Currently I am thinking of putting a deposit down on both and seeing which actually arrives first and then make a decision. But I am one of those people that probably would never Baja the truck, so I am considering the Tundra and saving the money.
I was speaking from experience. I had a 5th Gen 4runner and '19 TRD Pro taco that I had off road numerous times.

They are good for one thing: Jeep trails. Their tech sucks balls and so does the comfort.

Off-road they are very good. Overall I had a blast with them, but they didn't check all the boxes like the Raptor does. And once you drive a Raptor, you'll see why.

Attachments

• E8D21F55-43AD-4CE3-988B-8D0CF149AD6F.jpeg
    E8D21F55-43AD-4CE3-988B-8D0CF149AD6F.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 5367924E-34FF-4A52-A34E-8D7E0F0861FB.jpeg
    5367924E-34FF-4A52-A34E-8D7E0F0861FB.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 26

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to consider that the T uRd pRo package is just that; a package. Different grille, shocks, and stickers. The Raptor rides on a completely different frame and suspension system. Not only that, but the majority of the body panels are Raptor specific, as well as the powertrain. That's where your extra $20K is going; it's a purpose build baja truck, not a shock upgrade. If you're looking for a T uRd pRo competitor, consider the Tremor.
Once again...compare apples with apples. That means Tremor vs. **** pRo. Not Raptor, since there is no equivalent tundra model.
So why not buy CAT then and support your own country? It makes no sense to buy foreign brands when you have the same or better product made by an American company that employs Americans in high paying jobs, right down to Union manufacturing. FCA plants are Union, which means high wages, $0 deductible health insurance, and profit sharing bonuses. Their headquarters hasn't moved, it's still in Auburn Hills, MI. Toyota and other asian manufacturers with US plants are strictly anti-Union, but all of their Japanese plants are unionized. See any conflict there?

Here are the numbers:
Assembly%20Plants%202019_0.png
The only reason that the timing chains wear out on Gen 1 EcoBoosts is extended oil change intervals or poor quality oil/filters. There are tens of thousands of them with 200k+ miles and no timing chain wear, and they're all built the same. Tundra has significant issues with the A.I.R. system that is approximately $3,000 to fix. Cam tower oil leaks are also extremely common and are just as expensive to repair. I'd say it's good paying work, but it's very involved. And then tend to leak again due to a poor design. The frame rust issues are catastrophic, so much so that Toyota list a $3.4 Billion class action lawsuit for it. And then they had the audacity to state the following "Toyota admitted no liability or wrongdoing in the proposed settlement filed on Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Fernando Olguin in Los Angeles". They made Dana the scaoegoat, which proved to be false when the 4Runners, which are built in Japan with a different frame supplier, experience the same issue. Comparing a sample size of 1 is not accurate; if what you're saying was even remotely true, the Tundra would be the #1 pickup in every commercial industry. It's not; F-Series is #1, followed by GM and Ram. There is no bias there, they purchase based on cost to maintain and repair, performance, and longevity.

Here's your "hard life" tundra that can't even keep the cab from hitting the bed in one of Ford's most basic durability tests at Silver Creek:

420a3ad7-721e-494e-b78c-fd6b6b88737c-gif.gif

Once again...consider a Tremor or Rebel. Or Trail Boss. Stop supporting the flow of tens of billions of dollars out of this country to a small currency manipulating island.

Last edited:

CookieMonster11b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 13 mpg with mixed driving on 35s

Status
Not open for further replies.