Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are a great asset to this community, but a post like this shows your ignorance and arrogance. You should just concentrate on your technical expertise instead of you opinions. I don't disagree that the Gen 1 Raptor is a **** compared to the current Gen 2 and 3. I drove a Gen 1 Raptor for 100k miles and a Gen 2 Raptor for 40k miles. I just didn't like how the V6 with turbos drove. Even after an intercooler, engine and transmission tune.
Save your backhanded “compliments”. Maybe concentrate on understanding the difference between your warped perception and facts. Clearly you have a biased view of G1 for some strange reason, nobody wants to hear about your made up “turbo lag” nonsense.
Before you start insulating people online you should know who you are insulating. Back in 2013 I was swapping my leaf springs for Deavers in Trey's driveway and trying to get every suspension upgrade I could get because it was that much fun driving offroad and jumping going 70mph in Big Bend. The special part of the Gen 1 was all the new product development and people sharing ideas and upgrades that made the truck better offroad.
Nobody cares that you were swapping leaf springs. Its irrelevant, you’ve made your ignorance and bias obvious by your comments. And nobody is “insulating” anyone, you are simply trying to make a case based on your personal opinion. Which is a strange one.
The Gen 2 was made to appease tree huggers (Government) and appeal to Milennials. I'm not trolling or anti-Raptor at all. I just don't agree with Ford's direction after the Gen 1 or the Raptor R rollout with the high pricetag and dealer allocation nightmare. If you look at my past post I've helped a number of people get in contact with a dealer to purchase a Gen 3 when they were first released.
“Tree huggers” and “millennials”?? Lmao ok old man conspiracy theorist. It has nothing to do with the government, it’s about a higher performance vehicle with better efficiency. G2 engine won at Le Mans and at the Baja while offering the best performance in Raptor as well as the highest towing capacity and performance in its non-HO form in F-150.

I'm here for entertainment, to learn and to help people. Advertising that you are a Ford Dealer technician and have a vast knowledge of how these trucks are built and operate, you should hold yourself to a higher standard. You can do better @FordTechOne
Well you’re not very entertaining when you’re talking nonsense. You’re helping nobody when you make the ridiculous claims and statements you’ve posted in this thread. You may want to hold yourself tons higher standard and stop with the BS.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t patronize people. Gen 1 was a one trick pony. I drove them when they first came out and they’re unimpressive at best, unless you’re in an environment where you can appreciate the suspension. Otherwise it drives like a slower, lethargic F-150 but with horrendous fuel economy and more body roll.
Did you have the same thoughts about the Gen 1 Raptor when it first came out, or are you using 2022 expectations to judge it? I am blindly assuming that it was the best/only truck of its kind at the time.

I personally haven’t driven a Gen 1, but like many here, that’s the truck that made me want a Raptor. It just took another decade for me to be able to afford it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you have the same thoughts about the Gen 1 Raptor when it first came out, or are you using 2022 expectations to judge it? I am blindly assuming that it was the best/only truck of its kind at the time.

I personally haven’t driven a Gen 1, but like many here, that’s the truck that made me want a Raptor. It just took another decade for me to be able to afford it.
I did, but that’s nothing against the truck. I was living Midwest at the time and it was mostly flat and straight. So to me it was a wide body F-150 that was slower and heavier. Had I been living in the Southwest and been able to experience the capabilities of the suspension in the desert, I’m sure I would have had much more appreciation for the G1.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
@FordTechOne (disclaimer: Not a part of or into all the childish BS happening on this thread just trying to have actual debate with the knowledgable fordtechuno). You say the V6 sold well and this points to it being wanted, but that is an irrelevant argument as it was the only option. If there was a V6 and V8 optioned truck at the same time you could at least have data to compare. Cliche alert: Giving us only one choice is not giving a choice at all. Also if you think Ford wasn’t getting major pushback at killing the V8 then you are just rewriting history, cause it’s literally all anyone talked and complained about for years (including me doing it right now). Even ford clearly felt the heat when they idiotically tried to pump fake noise into the truck which is itself an admission of people complaining and them going on and on about putting in a trombone exhaust to try to give it a meaner sound. These point to them trying to appease people that weren’t happy with the V6. If the raptor is truly irrelevant to their CAFE standards then ford is even dumber than previously thought and they pissed off a lot of people for no reason at all. Full transparency though, I think you are wrong on this point. Every single vehicle manufacturer on the planet is all going greener and electric all at the same time and it’s because of the government full stop. Hence why the R will not be mass produced for everyone who wants one, but will be something for ford to point at and say see see over there look what we did! We are better than the TRX. If the TRX didn’t exist neither would the R.

All I have ever said and continue to say is give the people both options and let us pick the truck we want and everyone can be happy. Your argument implies toward force everyone to have a V6 and shut up and like it. I’m pointing toward you can have a V6 and I’ll take a V8 and life is good, cheers brother let’s grab a cold one! But Ford can’t even do that right as they won’t let you spec a basic Raptor with a V8 and they think an R is worth $110k (yeah right) - $150k (#### off). Which sucks as Ford is clearly the best at this and makes the best trucks. But the R will be unattainable to basically all normal folks and so to me the V8 still died with the Gen1 and will still never return and that still makes me sad indeed.

Last edited:

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have never driven a G2. How the heck can you say it has bad turbo lag? If you think this 3.5 has turbo lag, then you really don't understand what turbo lag is. That engine DOES NOT have turbo lag. Do I think it sounds cool? No. Do I care? No. I'm happy with it being quiet. If you are talking about throttle sensitivity, and calling it turbo lag, just put it in sport mode. Even just in sport mode, no tune, all stock, you are not waiting on the turbos.
In Auto Mode the the 2nd Gen has turbo lag. I owned my 2020 for a pinch over a year and yes, it’s there. It’s just part of what vehicles with turbos have.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even the raptor R people in all the videos were saying that the only people who wanted the V6 was the corporate community, without saying it.. we all know what they were thinking.. no one from ford performance or SVT or any other performance entities wanted the ecoboost.. they all wanted predator or some other V8 as the main engine, probably in the GT program as well.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In Auto Mode the the 2nd Gen has turbo lag. I owned my 2020 for a pinch over a year and yes, it’s there. It’s just part of what vehicles with turbos have.
Actually it doesn't and all turbos don't have noticeable turbo lag! A turbo engine having different power characteristics from a normally aspirated engine does not equate to everything with a turbo having turbo lag. Throttle sensitivity is not the same as turbo lag. Get in a stock G2 Raptor in sport mode, driving along at 10 mph, now punch it. How long did you have to wait for the power to build? The answer is you didn't have to wait at all. If you had turbo lag you would be sitting there with nothing happening waiting for boost to build. Drive something like a 2000 Saab 9-5 turbo and then come back and explain to me about all the turbo lag on a G2. It just isn't there.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne (disclaimer: Not a part of or into all the childish BS happening on this thread just trying to have actual debate with the knowledgable fordtechuno). You say the V6 sold well and this points to it being wanted, but that is an irrelevant argument as it was the only option. If there was a V6 and V8 optioned truck at the same time you could at least have data to compare. Cliche alert: Giving us only one choice is not giving a choice at all. Also if you think Ford wasn’t getting major pushback at killing the V8 then you are just rewriting history, cause it’s literally all anyone talked and complained about for years (including me doing it right now). Even ford clearly felt the heat when they idiotically tried to pump fake noise into the truck which is itself an admission of people complaining and them going on and on about putting in a trombone exhaust to try to give it a meaner sound. These point to them trying to appease people that weren’t happy with the V6. If the raptor is truly irrelevant to their CAFE standards then ford is even dumber than previously thought and they pissed off a lot of people for no reason at all. Full transparency though, I think you are wrong on this point. Every single vehicle manufacturer on the planet is all going greener and electric all at the same time and it’s because of the government full stop. Hence why the R will not be mass produced for everyone who wants one, but will be something for ford to point at and say see see over there look what we did! We are better than the TRX. If the TRX didn’t exist neither would the R.

All I have ever said and continue to say is give the people both options and let us pick the truck we want and everyone can be happy. Your argument implies toward force everyone to have a V6 and shut up and like it. I’m pointing toward you can have a V6 and I’ll take a V8 and life is good, cheers brother let’s grab a cold one! But Ford can’t even do that right as they won’t let you spec a basic Raptor with a V8 and they think an R is worth $110k (yeah right) - $150k (#### off). Which sucks as Ford is clearly the best at this and makes the best trucks. But the R will be unattainable to basically all normal folks and so to me the V8 still died with the Gen1 and will still never return and that still makes me sad indeed.
I was actually sincere with my response to him and I was trying to help him. The way he comes across with his keyboard would not look good with higher ups at Ford. I've taken the high road and ignored him.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't and all turbos don't have noticeable turbo lag! A turbo engine having different power characteristics from a normally aspirated engine does not equate to everything with a turbo having turbo lag. Throttle sensitivity is not the same as turbo lag. Get in a stock G2 Raptor in sport mode, driving along at 10 mph, now punch it. How long did you have to wait for the power to build? The answer is you didn't have to wait at all. If you had turbo lag you would be sitting there with nothing happening waiting for boost to build. Drive something like a 2000 Saab 9-5 turbo and then come back and explain to me about all the turbo lag on a G2. It just isn't there.
Actually, it did. Smashing the throttle from a start you (or at least I could) notice the lag. Now, do the same thing but while standing on the brakes and getting the RPM’s and the boost on the turbos going, and the truck responds faster.