Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, it did. Smashing the throttle from a start you (or at least I could) notice the lag. Now, do the same thing but while standing on the brakes and getting the RPM’s and the boost on the turbos going, and the truck responds faster.
There is a very slight bit of lag.. two tiny turbos don't take long to spool up.. my truck will not spool while on the brakes, I assume it's a protective feature..

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne (disclaimer: Not a part of or into all the childish BS happening on this thread just trying to have actual debate with the knowledgable fordtechuno). You say the V6 sold well and this points to it being wanted, but that is an irrelevant argument as it was the only option. If there was a V6 and V8 optioned truck at the same time you could at least have data to compare. Cliche alert: Giving us only one choice is not giving a choice at all. Also if you think Ford wasn’t getting major pushback at killing the V8 then you are just rewriting history, cause it’s literally all anyone talked and complained about for years (including me doing it right now). Even ford clearly felt the heat when they idiotically tried to pump fake noise into the truck which is itself an admission of people complaining and them going on and on about putting in a trombone exhaust to try to give it a meaner sound. These point to them trying to appease people that weren’t happy with the V6. If the raptor is truly irrelevant to their CAFE standards then ford is even dumber than previously thought and they pissed off a lot of people for no reason at all. Full transparency though, I think you are wrong on this point. Every single vehicle manufacturer on the planet is all going greener and electric all at the same time and it’s because of the government full stop. Hence why the R will not be mass produced for everyone who wants one, but will be something for ford to point at and say see see over there look what we did! We are better than the TRX. If the TRX didn’t exist neither would the R.

All I have ever said and continue to say is give the people both options and let us pick the truck we want and everyone can be happy. Your argument implies toward force everyone to have a V6 and shut up and like it. I’m pointing toward you can have a V6 and I’ll take a V8 and life is good, cheers brother let’s grab a cold one! But Ford can’t even do that right as they won’t let you spec a basic Raptor with a V8 and they think an R is worth $110k (yeah right) - $150k (#### off). Which sucks as Ford is clearly the best at this and makes the best trucks. But the R will be unattainable to basically all normal folks and so to me the V8 still died with the Gen1 and will still never return and that still makes me sad indeed.
What you’re saying is they should have offered a V8 just to offer a V8; that has no business case. You wanted them to water down the Raptor by offering the 5.0 from the standard F-150 that is significantly slower and less fuel efficient. It would have been a worse truck in every aspect, all just to satisfy a small population of Gen 1 owners that can’t get over the fact that the 3.5 EB was the perfect choice for the Raptor and outperforms all other light duty truck powertrains in Ford’s lineup sans the 5.2 Predator.

Current G3 Raptors are selling for close to $90k, so $110,000 for a limited production 700HP R isn’t exactly that ridiculous. Especially when you consider the engine alone is hand built and retails for $30k.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was actually sincere with my response to him and I was trying to help him. The way he comes across with his keyboard would not look good with higher ups at Ford. I've taken the high road and ignored him.
You not helping anyone, you’re just posting nonsense because you have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve been getting DMs that people are adding you to their ignore lists; you’re ridiculous.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
What you’re saying is they should have offered a V8 just to offer a V8; that has no business case. You wanted them to water down the Raptor by offering the 5.0 from the standard F-150 that is significantly slower and less fuel efficient. It would have been a worse truck in every aspect, all just to satisfy a small population of Gen 1 owners that can’t get over the fact that the 3.5 EB was the perfect choice for the Raptor and outperforms all other light duty truck powertrains in Ford’s lineup sans the 5.2 Predator.

Current G3 Raptors are selling for close to $90k, so $110,000 for a limited production 700HP R isn’t exactly that ridiculous. Especially when you consider the engine alone is hand built and retails for $30k.
So the R is watering down the raptor got it

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even the raptor R people in all the videos were saying that the only people who wanted the V6 was the corporate community, without saying it.. we all know what they were thinking.. no one from ford performance or SVT or any other performance entities wanted the ecoboost.. they all wanted predator or some other V8 as the main engine, probably in the GT program as well.
Wow, what a statistical survey lol! Ford Performance developed the 3.5 for the GT and Raptor, the Predator wasn’t even invented when G2 was in development, so you’re making it up as you go.

Instead of baseless speculation, here’s the first hand interview with Ford VP of Product Development:

“MT: We're surprised to find out that it's not the 5.2-liter flat plane V-8 from the Shelby GT350 powering the Ford GT, but a new 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost. How early was that decision made? Was it a fundamental part of the program?
RN: "Yeah, it was early on. We wanted to highlight EcoBoost in the vehicle and we've got a lot of great experience with the 3.5. It's a great engine for us, whether it's the upgrade in the Raptor or how well it's doing in the Daytona Prototypes for us. And so yeah, very early on we decided on EcoBoost and not just because of that experience but also when we went through the analysis of fuel efficiency, horsepower per pound, all those aspects of efficiency that we wanted to emphasize with this vehicle as well. That's why it was the engine choice."

MT: Is it mandated by regulations? Perhaps in other markets like Europe where it's easier to sell a smaller-displacement turbocharged engine versus a big V-8?
RN: "No, not really. Not really driven by regulations, more driven by efficiency, horsepower on the fuel efficiency, and horsepower on the weight efficiency."
MT: Now you said it was born in a wind tunnel -- what does that mean?”

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, after corporate said here is what you guys have to work with and I'm sure they said what about a V8 and ford said no this is the engine.. deep down you know as well as every one else ford racing did not choose the 3.5 as the halo engine.

I'm sure the predator engine was being developed around the same time as gen2 raptor and the voodoo engine was already in production, no?

A large group of people would have been perfectly happy with a 6.2L as a base engine and the ecoboost as the option.. I would bet a large some of money that most would have stuck with the base engine in this theoretical situation

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, after corporate said here is what you guys have to work with and I'm sure they said what about a V8 and ford said no this is the engine.. deep down you know as well as every one else ford racing did not choose the 3.5 as the halo engine.
That’s entirely speculation. Ford Performance is corporate. Take your conspiracy theories somewhere else. I posted the interview, if you want to be ignorant that’s your choice.
I'm sure the predator engine was being developed around the same time as gen2 raptor and the voodoo engine was already in production, no?
Do you have even the most basic understanding of an FPC engine? The Voodoo is a terrible choice for a truck, it was designed for the GT350 to be used at the track at high RPM. It’s lacking in low end torque and doesn’t make power until the top of the rev range. In other words it would be horrible in an F-150, never mind a Raptor.
A large group of people would have been perfectly happy with a 6.2L as a base engine and the ecoboost as the option.. I would bet a large some of money that most would have stuck with the base engine in this theoretical situation
You’d be out a lot of money then. Take rate on standard F-150 favors EcoBoost by a wide margin, and the 3.5/5.0 have similar horsepower outputs. In Raptor, the 3.5 outperforms the old 6.2 in every aspect while being much more efficient. The 6.2 is a dog, Ford wasn’t going to embarrass themselves by offering an slow old E-Series fleet engine in their new flagship product.

I don’t what you’re trying to prove, but it’s not making any sense.