Antitheft systems needed for Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how difficult it is to obtain the key fob programming equipment, but my research suggested this is typically how they get the engine started in such a short timeframe.

They steal the unlock code by sitting in a vehicle closeby with dark tinted windows and pick up the code when they see you unlock it.

I'm sure there are important details I'm missing, and I'm not saying this is universally what they do, but it seemed to be the most common MO.

I have firsthand knowledge (friends and acquaintances) of one attempted and two successful Raptor thefts, plus a failed and later successful theft of a single TRX, in DFW in the past 8 months or so. My buddy's TRX was broken into and being programmed at a D ick's sporting goods late one evening when he came out of the store, he caused a commotion and they got in a car with no plates and sped off. His same TRX was later stolen from the parking lot of a Service King when it was in for repairs. It is rampant.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I mean... I’ve parked the Rap in downtown S/A multiple times, but I always use a pay lot. My M.O. is a bit more than this. I have someone pay me to watch my truck. They have a thorough understanding that when i come back, my truck will be waiting for me, without so much as another spec of dust, or dental reconstruction will be the least painful part of their recovery. I usually make $50 - $100 every time I park downtown. Tough to do at malls though, so I avoid them.

Great. You’ve just spent some of my tax refund. :-/
got to harden the truck this year.

WisestIowan

Reaction score
I’ve got a guy in Texas that installs an old school kill switch that works great. The truck still starts with remote start but the button doesn’t work when the kill switch is on.

If you’re in Texas send me a message.

dvm

Reaction score
A question. Can the key code be cloned if I lock and unlock using the FordPass app?
If you have the key fob on you with no protection (ie faraday box, aluminum foil) then yes.

If using the app only and no key fob on your person your good to go. Unfortunately they can still break in and steal you car after programming an additional key fob and then drive away. They don’t need your signal to get inside your car.

Either way you should have some sort of additional measures (Ravelco, IGLA, kill switch, German shepherd, etc)

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DVM. Regarding cloning a key fob...how long does it take? Can they be cloned when driving? Should they reside in the faraday box at all times, even when driving?

Wish it was easier to deal with the thievery.

dvm

Reaction score
DVM. Regarding cloning a key fob...how long does it take? Can they be cloned when driving? Should they reside in the faraday box at all times, even when driving?

Wish it was easier to deal with the thievery.
The key fobs have a very long range. Thieves can even clone your signal from inside your house when they are outside of it. To be most diligent you would keep it in a faraday box all the time except to start the vehicle.

Don’t forgot though, they don’t even need your key to steal your car. They just hook up to your can bus system usually through your obd2 port (but it can be anywhere in you car where they can access the can bus) and with a small computer that is the size of an iPad with almost if not identical to the software your local ford store would use to add an additional key fob if you needed one.

Then the start the car with the newly made fob. Takes about a minute or two. It is actually way to quick to do.

I have had a gen 2 raptor and a TRX with Ravelco. Then I learned from the TRX forums how Ravelco can be defeated. Now my hellrango has IGLA and compustar. I will do the IGLA combo whenever my R shows up.