Raptor Makes the "Dirty Dozen"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THAT is a pretty nice little econo-box. The TDIs are pretty smokin' fast little cars. I had a friend who had an A4 TDI in the UK and it was fast as hell....

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Has Volkswagon gotten any better in reliablility? I know they used to have constant electrical issues. I hear the TDI real-world mpg is over 40. Niiiiice.

brinkwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about this is this good for the environment?

YouTube - SandyPondNewfoundland.m4v

This is a damn shame and it just makes me sick that they would let that happen to such a beautiful place like that.

Also on the Prius and other cars like it crap my wife's Porsche averages 22mpg if you keep your foot out of it. Like he said in the video it is not the car but how you drive it.

Last edited:

brinkwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of defensiveness on this thread...
Why is it seen as a bad thing to want to drive a vehicle that uses less energy? We should all try to reduce our energy consumption for reasons that should be obvious to all but the most idiotic/brainwashed people.
I didn't buy a Raptor to save money on gas or save the environment, but I did trade in my gas-guzzling SUV for two vehicles: A Raptor (for weekend getaways and bad weather, etc.) and a Honda Civic Hybrid (for my daily, 100+ mile commuting duties). Granted, I did this for economical reasons more than any sense of obligation to the environment, but I have no regrets and I actually enjoy using less fuel on my commute.
And for those who claim the Honda Civic is a "POS", I have to say that their sales figures/resale values/customer satisfaction statistics will refute this assertion on any level. As a matter of fact, my new Honda is still running fine but my new Ford is already plagued by clunks and glitches that have already had me back to the dealer on more than one occasion.

Gas guzzling SUV? What did you have? My Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with 5.3 averaged 17mpg in the city and 21-22 on the highway. Only traded in because I wanted another regular truck and fell in luv with the Raptor.

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
I'm all for saving money on gas. And I'm glad your Civic is working out for you. Here are a few of the neato features our 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid offers...

- New tires every 8-10k miles. Yea, the alignment is fine and the pressures are dead on. And I've also replaced 2 blown tires in the rear. Sweet...

- New battery-pack at 16k miles. That's a $6,000 repair. A bit of online research showed that I was not alone. Seems like a TON of owners had the same issue. The dealer acknowledged the same...

- Full 20-25% worse mileage than advertised. The sticker said 41/50. Yet the best the car has ever done is 36 highway (no air conditioning) and 41 city. A friend of mine had a standard 2006 Civic that got 38 on the highway. Surprise, surprise, when other owners saw the same thing and sued Honda, they reworked the numbers.

- Fully oxidized paint on the rear spoiler. Even with regular waxing the paint basically vanished. Worst paint I have seen on any car I have ever purchased.

Had someone asked me within a year of buying the car I probably would have said "Hey, it's pretty good. As evidenced by their sales figures, etc. it must not be a PoS.". I'm also pretty sure that Honda attempted to fix these issues in later models - for your sake I hope so. But as I said, our Civic defines the phrase PoS and if my daughter did not love that car I would probably take it to a junk yard and spend 2 hours beating it with a sledgehammer. There are good hybrids out there, but that year model for the Civic Hybrid is a PoS. I hope you still feel the same way in a year or two - or at least hope Honda is still paying for the new batteries.

I've heard the older Civics got far worse gas mileage than advertised. Mine's a 2010 and I get 38 to 40 with a very heavy foot. The car was cheap (about 21k) and I had to do something because I was filling up my Acura MDX almost three times a week at 60 bucks a pop! As long as it's as dependable as the other Hondas I've owned (3 new MDXs in the past 10 years) I'll be happy. I don't care about fit and finish so much, hell, I don't even wash the thing!