Raptor broke down again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues with my 2017 with 42K miles. I feel bad for the people that have issues with theirs. But life is too short to worry about issues that I don't have.

Same. My 2018 runs like a dream and I have zero complaints. I feel for the people who have issues but that ain't me

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if excessive blow by under those abnormal conditions could have triggered the MAF?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe “hard” is the wrong word. I am saying that I am accelerating hard enough that the tranny would normally downshift to 9th had it not been in manual. I prefer to accelerate slower and avoid the downshift which is next to impossible in manual mode. I would guess I was about at 25% throttle and 10PSI boost. RPM’s are likely near 2400RPMs.

Just a thought - maybe I can post the dash cam video and we can all decide for ourselves whether or not the engine was bogged and avoid all this conjecture.

Low RPM boost is not good for the bottom end. WTF you got against it downshifting?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The truck does less than 2400 rpm and 10psi in 10th gear all the time driving around all on its own. Normal/eco mode will jump to 10th gear by 42mph, ~1100 rpms.

Prior to the update I cajoled my local stealership into, even with a pedal commander the Rap wouldn’t downshift to 9th or 8th willingly without about 60% throttle and only if it was under 55mph. She would stubbornly hold 10th gear and try to boost her way through whatever I was doing.
WTF you got against it downshifting?

THIS is exactly what I was asking Lucille as I was trying to roll on past some plodding tractor trailer.

Once I convinced the service advisor that yes, I really did with the pcm, tcm etc. updated behavior was way better on downshifts. Before, if I was on an interstate at 70 or above, she would hold 10th gear up even the steepest of grades. After, the strategy is much better, I get 9th or 8th to keep rpms a little higher and of course much easier on things.

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post a summary should this be useful to others in the future. The truck is driving fine (for now) and I haven’t been able to reproduce the error.

Break down

I was on the freeway and accelerated from 78 to 85 in M10 at which point the engine become unresponsive and a series of warning messages were issued such as power train fault. Almost all power was lost, the tranny started shifting funny and the engine was running really bad. When coming to a stop, the entire truck was shaking due to the engine’s poor idle.

I was able to idle the car to the dealer. Luckily it was late at night and the roads were empty so my max speed of 10MPH wasn’t too dangerous though I barely made it up a couple gradual hills. The engine was running really rough when I’d come to a complete stop. The gas pedal didn’t seem to have any effect.

I recorded various error messages but I don’t remember them all since I was more focused on getting off the freeway.

-P0068 - Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor/mass air flow (MAF) sensor/throttle position correlation

-P0630 - VIN not programmed or incompatible. This one was the only DTC mentioned by the dealer.

-Powertrain fault

-Incorrect wheel size

-Chassis fault

Could it be too high of load at too low of RPM causing LSPI?

I wish this were the case because that would mean that my Raptor didn’t really have a problem but I don’t think it is. I have repeated this scenario and found that accelerating from 78 to 85MPH in 8 seconds (as verified by the dash cam) requires maybe <20% throttle and results in 7PSI boost. I believe this is well below the LSPI threshold. Even if LSPI were an issue, the ECU would have retarded timing and maybe decreased boost and throttle angle. An all out freak out is probably not the most likely effect.

Could this be caused my some computer hardware/software fault?

This is my best guess based on the prevalence of error codes and the “fix” done by the dealer of resetting the PCM. This is not the first time my computers have gone haywire and left me with a non functioning car. The first occurred after going through a car wash.

Could this be a throttle body failure?

A friend with 2015 F150 eco boost mentioned this. He had a throttle body to bad with similar symptoms. Beyond this, I have no idea.

I’ve kind of lost trust in my truck. I am not comfortable taking it that far out into the middle of nowhere when it has broken down twice in the first 8 months of ownership. I’ve been planning a trip to the Arctic Ocean in my Raptor but going 500 miles north of civilization in a late model Ford is now seeming like a bad idea. Unless a specific culprit is found with a clear fix, I think I will have to sell it. Super disappointing.