Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Raptor broke down again!

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by TurboTJ, Jan 24, 2020.

1. TurboTJ

TurboTJ Full Access Member

Was driving out of town tonight and when I got on the freeway, my dash lit up with all the usual BS lights (adaptive cruise not available, collision assist fault, etc) and now power train fault!

I was able to idle to a local ford dealer at 10MPH when flooring it. At stoplights, the engine stutters and almost dies.

Luckily my dad was here with his late 90’s suburban to still get to where I’m going. It’s amazing that a 20 year old Chevy is more reliable than a modern ford!

the only code I was able to read was P0068 - mass airflow. Anyone else have this?

I am so disappointed. This might be it for the Raptor. I drive in the mountains a lot, outside of cell reception and having a brand new car keep failing isn’t an option. Any advice?

2. Thewiz

Thewiz Member

If it were me, i would fix it and have the truck for a while to see if this is happening often. After 3-5 times of failure i would sell it honestly. It's like you said, can't have such a unreliable truck getting all paranoid every time you are going for a trip.

3. JohnyPython

JohnyPython Full Access Member

Have you checked the oil level?

What did dealer service say?

Ya, I would consider launching that truck.

4. WTFOT

WTFOT Member

Same issue on my 2019 limited (same power train package), dealer saw to many DTC's to troubleshoot so no luck. I found on some board an obscure reference to change the Power Transfer Unit fluid. I change the fluid and made sure it was filled to spec and no more issue for the next 5,000 miles. I ended trading for a 2020 Raptor and now use Forscan to pull my own DTC's before going to the dealer.

5. Kuan

Kuan Full Access Member

You mean that you were working on the front transfer case, right? F150 does not have a PTU.... that is only on the small stuff like flex, taurus, MKS/Z etc.

6. WTFOT

WTFOT Member

You are correct I should have said transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Booth9999

Booth9999 FRF Addict

The few that I have seen on here (Christmas tree lights on dash) seemed to all be related to the wheel speed sensors geting damaged. I would start there. Good luck.

TurboTJ likes this.
  8. TheTeej

TheTeej Member

My Gen 1 started idling high, then stalling, then running rough. It was the Mass Air Flow Sensor that had to be replaced. The sensor basically governs your air/fuel mix, so if you are getting that code and your truck is running like crap, its a cheap and easy thing to check. Should take 5 min to swap.

9. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

Gonna be a long time under the hood of Gen 2 looking for a MAF sensor.

Richard Hinsley, brianh87 and Kuan like this.
  10. Johnkn

Johnkn Full Access Member

OP, I had the exact same errors to include ABS fault on my 2019 in December (with the exception of loss in power). A squirrel had chewed into the front wheel speed sensor and/or its wiring. Not suggesting you have rodent problems but appears it could be speed sensor related. Good luck.

TurboTJ likes this.