Raptor broke down again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving out of town tonight and when I got on the freeway, my dash lit up with all the usual BS lights (adaptive cruise not available, collision assist fault, etc) and now power train fault!

I was able to idle to a local ford dealer at 10MPH when flooring it. At stoplights, the engine stutters and almost dies.

Luckily my dad was here with his late 90’s suburban to still get to where I’m going. It’s amazing that a 20 year old Chevy is more reliable than a modern ford!

the only code I was able to read was P0068 - mass airflow. Anyone else have this?

I am so disappointed. This might be it for the Raptor. I drive in the mountains a lot, outside of cell reception and having a brand new car keep failing isn’t an option. Any advice?

Thewiz

Reaction score
If it were me, i would fix it and have the truck for a while to see if this is happening often. After 3-5 times of failure i would sell it honestly. It's like you said, can't have such a unreliable truck getting all paranoid every time you are going for a trip.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked the oil level?

What did dealer service say?

Ya, I would consider launching that truck.

WTFOT

Reaction score
Same issue on my 2019 limited (same power train package), dealer saw to many DTC's to troubleshoot so no luck. I found on some board an obscure reference to change the Power Transfer Unit fluid. I change the fluid and made sure it was filled to spec and no more issue for the next 5,000 miles. I ended trading for a 2020 Raptor and now use Forscan to pull my own DTC's before going to the dealer.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue on my 2019 limited (same power train package), dealer saw to many DTC's to troubleshoot so no luck. I found on some board an obscure reference to change the Power Transfer Unit fluid. I change the fluid and made sure it was filled to spec and no more issue for the next 5,000 miles. I ended trading for a 2020 Raptor and now use Forscan to pull my own DTC's before going to the dealer.

You mean that you were working on the front transfer case, right? F150 does not have a PTU.... that is only on the small stuff like flex, taurus, MKS/Z etc.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
The few that I have seen on here (Christmas tree lights on dash) seemed to all be related to the wheel speed sensors geting damaged. I would start there. Good luck.

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Gen 1 started idling high, then stalling, then running rough. It was the Mass Air Flow Sensor that had to be replaced. The sensor basically governs your air/fuel mix, so if you are getting that code and your truck is running like crap, its a cheap and easy thing to check. Should take 5 min to swap.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Gen 1 started idling high, then stalling, then running rough. It was the Mass Air Flow Sensor that had to be replaced. The sensor basically governs your air/fuel mix, so if you are getting that code and your truck is running like crap, its a cheap and easy thing to check. Should take 5 min to swap.

Gonna be a long time under the hood of Gen 2 looking for a MAF sensor.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, I had the exact same errors to include ABS fault on my 2019 in December (with the exception of loss in power). A squirrel had chewed into the front wheel speed sensor and/or its wiring. Not suggesting you have rodent problems but appears it could be speed sensor related. Good luck.