Raptor Assault - S-U-C-K-E-D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You definitely got me with your title John! :gr_grin: I was super impressed with everything about the school. I'm wondering how ham fis ted (ham fiste d is a dirty word?) you have to be to roll the truck 3 times?!! I would love to see a video of what happened. Hopefully nobody got hurt, except for their pride.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually disappointed this time in your pictures. You're missing the ones that I want to see. If I know you, you have the pictures i want to see, now cough them up!

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I'm actually disappointed this time in your pictures. You're missing the ones that I want to see. If I know you, you have the pictures i want to see, now cough them up!
Haaa haaa, they were quite adamant about me not photographing the destroyed Raptor :( they even brought it in wrapped in a tarp. The next day at class it was No Where to be seen… I would left it parked by the Front Door with a sign that said “ YA”LL BETTER DRIVE WITHIN YOUR LIMITS!!”
It would have sold a lot of the insurance add-on too ;)
They had another one that someone ran into a tree on the Mountain Run ??
Again…. A Mans Got To Know His Limitations :) Interesting thing about the tree encounter was that the Airbag did NOT Deploy, and it was a good wack?
Not to disappoint you I’ve included a few shots of some other “Encounters” 3533185A-6DDC-4604-8894-93ED69D12ED2.jpegC0491FD3-562A-4C9F-A913-EEE8AFF054BF.jpegF95472B0-1941-4C90-A630-1901703A6863.jpeg8938EF91-478E-4E0A-BAF0-CC449222BA19.jpeg094A7603-C59F-4A56-8C2F-E521BEBEEEFA.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I can imagine that they don't want pictures out in the interweb of that stuff. If I ever get back to Vegas you can show me the pics in person, ha ha ha.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
You definitely got me with your title John! :gr_grin: I was super impressed with everything about the school. I'm wondering how ham fis ted (ham fiste d is a dirty word?) you have to be to roll the truck 3 times?!! I would love to see a video of what happened. Hopefully nobody got hurt, except for their pride.
Yes Sir, The school was a blast! As fas as the Rolled Raptor goes…Thankfully No One was injured. It says a lot about the safety of the cab, all airbags had been deployed if I recall correctly and again the A & B pillars Did Not Buckle. In the gentleman’s defense, I think he was from back East with limited Off-Roading experience and the truck behaves totally different in the Dirt. I have over 300 hrs of EVOC training on the race track and in the dirt but,,,I still managed to hit a Cactus in the Grand Canyon area bending the light bar on my Gen-1 & blowing out the right rear tire. I Carried to much speed off a little jump and couldn’t get it scrubbed off before entering the turn. My training took over and saved my azzzz or I would have been rolling too. I realized the errors of my ways, straightened the wheel and met the Cactus and very large bush.
This guy did the same thing. If you recall the Baja course, there was a straightaway prior to entering a banking left hairpin turn. The entire course is framed by a 12” dirt berm (curb). He carried to much speed into the turn, tried to brake and continue to input hard left oversteer. The damage was done at this point, mass& energy are continuing straight into the berm with the wheels turned hard left. All the weight of the truck is now on the right front tire which is now collapsing as it strikes the berm, digs in and acts as the pivot point for the Poor Raptor to begin it’s rolls. Had he just straightened the wheel once he realized he couldn’t manage the speed through the turn he would have jumped the berm and been able to return to the course. This as you well know all happens in the blink of an eye. I was lucky, his ran out. Thank God it only cost him and his co-pilot $5k and wounded pride but an extremely valuable lesson learned that I’m sure he won’t forget anytime soon. I would have been in the hospital most likely with parts of my titanium neck and back lying around the floor of the cab :anitoof::Big Laugh:
That’s my 2cents putting it back together based on my knowledge, experience and observations. This by no means is an expert opinion and should not be used as such for any further legal or criminal proceedings, but I hope it paints a mental picture of how it “May or May not” have happened :) Stay Safe My Friend..

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes Sir, The school was a blast! As fas as the Rolled Raptor goes…Thankfully No One was injured. It says a lot about the safety of the cab, all airbags had been deployed if I recall correctly and again the A & B pillars Did Not Buckle. In the gentleman’s defense, I think he was from back East with limited Off-Roading experience and the truck behaves totally different in the Dirt. I have over 300 hrs of EVOC training on the race track and in the dirt but,,,I still managed to hit a Cactus in the Grand Canyon area bending the light bar on my Gen-1 & blowing out the right rear tire. I Carried to much speed off a little jump and couldn’t get it scrubbed off before entering the turn. My training took over and saved my azzzz or I would have been rolling too. I realized the errors of my ways, straightened the wheel and met the Cactus and very large bush.
This guy did the same thing. If you recall the Baja course, there was a straightaway prior to entering a banking left hairpin turn. The entire course is framed by a 12” dirt berm (curb). He carried to much speed into the turn, tried to brake and continue to input hard left oversteer. The damage was done at this point, mass& energy are continuing straight into the berm with the wheels turned hard left. All the weight of the truck is now on the right front tire which is now collapsing as it strikes the berm, digs in and acts as the pivot point for the Poor Raptor to begin it’s rolls. Had he just straightened the wheel once he realized he couldn’t manage the speed through the turn he would have jumped the berm and been able to return to the course. This as you well know all happens in the blink of an eye. I was lucky, his ran out. Thank God it only cost him and his co-pilot $5k and wounded pride but an extremely valuable lesson learned that I’m sure he won’t forget anytime soon. I would have been in the hospital most likely with parts of my titanium neck and back lying around the floor of the cab :anitoof::Big Laugh:
That’s my 2cents putting it back together based on my knowledge, experience and observations. This by no means is an expert opinion and should not be used as such for any further legal or criminal proceedings, but I hope it paints a mental picture of how it “May or May not” have happened :) Stay Safe My Friend..
Yep, I know exactly where you mean. I was surprised when they suggested I raise my line VERY high there so you were using that bank to force your direction change. I had only done that while dirt bike racing before.