Raptor Assault - S-U-C-K-E-D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
C-Rats-old term for combat rations. With the food in cans etc. I liked them better than the early MREs which are Meal, Ready to Eat. The food is all in plastic pouches now. MRES have come a long way since I lived on em in Operation Desert Storm.
My Dad was in the military for 30 years, he used to bring home these small boxes with little cans in them, I remember beans, peaches, etc, took those boxes with me a school field camping trip, I was the envy of all my friends.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
My Dad was in the military for 30 years, he used to bring home these small boxes with little cans in them, I remember beans, peaches, etc, took those boxes with me a school field camping trip, I was the envy of all my friends.
The “Pound Cake” was a weapon! You could F<>k someone up either eating it or hitting them in the head with it!
We would do some joint exercises with the Canadian boys when I was at Ft Lewis and trade meals. Theirs were superior at the time to the C-Rats. On a side note, I was surprised to see they had weapons:oops::badger_1: haaahaaa great Soldiers!

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When I saw the title, I was like finally someone else who wasn't impressed with the course but then saw the sarcasm. I went last year and honestly didn't think it sucked but I wasn't very impressed when listening to everyone else hype it up. The views were fantastic though!

Guess my expectations going into it was higher that I anticipated. I did buy the insurance but after the course, I thought it was a waste of $95 but was looking at the peace of mind more than anything. I do agree with meeting great people and other raptor owners but the course to me was rather tame. I fully understand the reasoning though, they have a lot of newbie off-roader's so it needs to be tame. They kept you close together riding in each others dust (which kinda surprised me since you never really want to ride in dust) but that kept anyone from driving too fast too. The co-passenger with me didn't like any of the hill climbs and made him very nervous so he let me take the wheel on all of that so I actually got more seat time. I didn't care much for the trail control going up the mountain, I tried it as instructed but our instructor had us do left foot braking too and I preferred that way so much better that I never messed with trail control except one time going down hill to see how it worked.

And yes in the dirt, things can happen in a split of a second regardless how much experience you have. I unfortunately have rolled my GEN1 and it happened so quickly that I still think about it to this day. I run it through my head thinking what could I have done differently in those seconds to avoid it. Never underestimate the dirt or terrain.

I am glad I went and glad that you had a blast. It gave me something to do the day before heading off the following day with a group of more raptor owners to do the 3-day Pony Express run to Carson City.

Attachments

• DJI_0485.JPG
    DJI_0485.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PGP36728.JPG
    PGP36728.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
When I saw the title, I was like finally someone else who wasn't impressed with the course but then saw the sarcasm. I went last year and honestly didn't think it sucked but I wasn't very impressed when listening to everyone else hype it up. The views were fantastic though!

Guess my expectations going into it was higher that I anticipated. I did buy the insurance but after the course, I thought it was a waste of $95 but was looking at the peace of mind more than anything. I do agree with meeting great people and other raptor owners but the course to me was rather tame. I fully understand the reasoning though, they have a lot of newbie off-roader's so it needs to be tame. They kept you close together riding in each others dust (which kinda surprised me since you never really want to ride in dust) but that kept anyone from driving too fast too. The co-passenger with me didn't like any of the hill climbs and made him very nervous so he let me take the wheel on all of that so I actually got more seat time. I didn't care much for the trail control going up the mountain, I tried it as instructed but our instructor had us do left foot braking too and I preferred that way so much better that I never messed with trail control except one time going down hill to see how it worked.

And yes in the dirt, things can happen in a split of a second regardless how much experience you have. I unfortunately have rolled my GEN1 and it happened so quickly that I still think about it to this day. I run it through my head thinking what could I have done differently in those seconds to avoid it. Never underestimate the dirt or terrain.

I am glad I went and glad that you had a blast. It gave me something to do the day before heading off the following day with a group of more raptor owners to do the 3-day Pony Express run to Carson City.
I totally agree with you Rick on the degree of difficulty/challenge for the course. If you live West of the Mississippi and take your Raptor out often as we do you would be disappointed thinking you were going to a Bill Burke 4x4 instructor course in Moab. Was the Baja course a joke? Of course it was, when you’ve run your Raptor across Death Valley at 100mph with the governor keeping you in check you would be disappointed with an 1/8 mile Baja course. But it wasn’t a Joke to the fella that managed to roll it on that Joke. Probably 90% of the folks in my class were from back East. My co-pilot was from MA and he found the Terrain new, exciting and challenging. I drove up a hill last night to catch a sunset that was more difficult than anything at the school. But I am extremely blessed to live in 4x4/Hiking heaven. Vegas sucks but it is an Amazing Base Camp for Outdoor adventure 12months a year. I was happy and sad for my back East brothers. It reminded me to not take what I have for granted. I told them all that I have an open invitation to show them beyond the neon of Vegas.
I thought of it this way. It’s like taking a friend skiing for the first time. You can’t let him run the bunny hill once then put him on the chair to run the Double Black Diamond. The Baja and Mountain course were Green Slope runs for sure, Yet…we had people rolling Raptors and Hitting Trees like they were Blasting down the Black Diamond destroying $75k Raptors. If the school let you run 100mph across Death Valley you would have dead folks law suits to the end of time and NO SCHOOL AT ALL.
Was the course lame? Of course it was if you have 30yrs of Off-Roading out West. But was it fun,did I have a great time and did I learn something. A big YES to all 3.
I know folks that forgot more about Off-Roading than I will learn in my lifetime and I try to grab all the knowledge I can from them.
As soon as you know everything there is about your hobby, it’s time to find a new one. I’ve found that the Know Everything folks are DANGEROUS AS F<>K!
I am considered a “Shooting Expert” by some, having had a Firearm in my hand since I was about 10. I’ve instructed classes to folks from around the world, buttttt, The lamest Firearms Class I’ve attended…. I learned something.
For more worthless information on John’s opinions on life…Please follow me on SNAPFACE & TWITCHAT at #Who gives a Rats Azzzzz about what John Thinks about Anything :anitoof::anitoof::Big Laugh::biggun::birgits_tiredcoffee:banana-mario::favorites13::favorites13::favorites37: