Question #21: New exhaust system???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see, Crazy seems to be trying to spend as much money as he can as quickly as possible. Mods out the butt before he even picks it up and tries it the way it comes from the factory? Crazy is right. I predict that in a year or two, someone will pick up a nice barely used Raptor with lots of expensive mods on for KBB value.

Dude, the thing is not even drivable without all I am doing to it.

tractorman

Reaction score
my Z06 is the C5 version (well it “was”...it’s a work in progress @ this point lol) - so no bi-mode exhaust available & I had cutouts I wanted to install but wound up selling em b/c the placement on the C5Z either comes to close to leaf springs cooking em, too far back & drone like hell & in any location bound to rattle & transmit noise into cabin when not in use.

they’re awesome on the right car tho

I wonder what cutouts would sound like on the Raptor? Probably like a thousand vacuum cleaners dying all at once ?

I had a C5 before I got my C6Z06. Had a Borla exhaust and it sounded quite nice. At least for now, I have decided to leave the exhaust alone on the Raptor. It could be better, but often aftermarket exhaust has downsides. Any drone at typical highway speeds is a no-go in my book. That is why I like the bi-mode idea. I had an extra set of bi-mode mufflers off my last Z06, but I sold them with the car. Wish I would have kept them for experimenting. On the bi-mode on the Z06, they come with 2 outlets per muffler. One is muffled, but when the valve is open the other is much less muffled or if you open the can and do the mod, it is essentially straight through. With my cam, and the bi-mode valves open, the car had a nice lope. Get on the throttle and it was nice and loud. Made me smile and my wife cringe.

I'm not trying to make this truck into a sports car. I'm actually fine with the exhaust note considering it is a 3.5l v6. And it might sound really bad with cutouts or bi-mode mufflers. Someone (other than me...haha) needs to experiment and report back.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the whole system or just the Cat back? What do you think of the sound compared to stock? What made you decide to go with the "S"? Thanks
Because he was scared of the ATAK - “what if it might be too loud?”... no offense!
Just get the Atak and be done with it. It rumbles nicely.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm obviously in the minority, but I think it sounds fine stock. You just have to get it out of your head that it needs to/should sound like a V8. I like the V8 sound, but I also think a lot of other engines sound good too. A wailing 1000cc sport bike sounds bad ass, I think my air-cooled 911 sounded awesome, a wound out 125cc 2 stroke sounds good to my ears, I loved my 300 hp outboard when it was maxed out on a tunnel hull that I had. My one bike had a 650cc single cylinder, I thought that sounded amazing with the right open exhaust.

The Raptor sounds like a turbo V6, which I think is good. I don't expect it to sound like something else, just like I didn't expect my 911 to sound like a V8. I think it's cool that it has a pretty unique sound when I blast by someone. :pimp:

Well said. I totally agree. I love the sound of my raptor. It sounds refined and matches the light, nimble, and responsive feel of the truck. I drove my 07 Lariat 4x4 5.4L with a catback and intake over the weekend. I told my wife I was going drive it to work the next day to put a few miles on it. After driving it, I said screw it. Put it up for sale and now it is sold. It sounds cool, but not cool enough. I love zipping around in my raptor. Just think back to the Formula 1 transition to a turbo V6. The sound on that changed too, and the car instantly became better.

Reaction score
I have the AWE 2FG exhaust and I absolutely love it. It sounds clean and deep, and isn't raspy or annoying with minimal drone. In my opinion it's the best exhaust option out there for these trucks. I put together a short Youtube with some sound cilps of before/after if anyone is interested. And if you have any questions feel free to reply here or DM me on Instagram @raptorsofinsta

OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the AWE 2FG exhaust and I absolutely love it. It sounds clean and deep, and isn't raspy or annoying with minimal drone. In my opinion it's the best exhaust option out there for these trucks. I put together a short Youtube with some sound cilps of before/after if anyone is interested. And if you have any questions feel free to reply here or DM me on Instagram @raptorsofinsta

Nice, thanks