quandary...Suggestions?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My quandary...Suggestions appreciated.

Dealer "A" which is a local dealer, has a Raptor scheduled for delivery on the 18th of this month. The truck has exactly what we are going to order as far as options go. They said (over the phone - we are going down next week to talk in person) that they will only go as low as $500 over invoice pricing. Also, I will have to more than likely take a hit on my current truck as a trade in versus selling it outright for more cash.

Dealer "B" (which is a few hours out of state) sells at $100 over invoice.

Herein lies my problem. If we order from Dealer "B" this will give me time to sell my truck out right for a little extra cash for the down payment. But then there's the wait time of the order. He also said that he can't guarantee me a 2013 truck because of his allotments and I'd be #10 on his list of I ordered today.

Dealer "A" has the truck coming next week. This sale will depend on the amount they are willing to cough up for a trade-in of my current truck. And also interest rates. I'm either going through USAA or Ford. USAA has already quoted me.

Should we let a few thousand dollars bother us and keep us from making a sale? Or is the wait worth it to save a few extra grand by being able to sell my current truck. My truck has been paid off for a few years, but I'd rather not have two trucks sitting in my driveway hoping to sell the one.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Might be worth the hassle to just trade your truck in...and $500 over invoice is a very very good deal. Remember when you trade in, the total trade in amount comes off the total amount that sales tax is applied. If you sell private party it might be a PITA to prove to the DMV that you don't have to pay the full taxable amount.

banman12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well depends how patient you are and how fast you want your truck. Being #10 on the list, you probably wont see that for close to a year to be honest. That's a lot of orders in front of you, and depending on their allocation, will take a while. I was #3 at a dealer that sells a lot of Raptors and it still took 3.5 months from order to delivery.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the $400 difference, I would go with the Local Dealership.

BTW, its probably not a $400 difference anyway since you said they are a few hours away...so that probably at least $100+ in gas...so its really only a $250-$300 difference.

Plus if you buy out of state, you will need to visit your local DMV to register it, so thats an added step versus the local dealership.

Good luck!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do dealer A. $500 over invoice is good. Not the best but a lot better than most dealerships. #10 on a list means you will prob not get a 2013 but rather a 2014.

I WOULD MAKE SURE DEALER A CAN REALLY DO $500 OVER INVOICE. They may say they can but once you sit down with them they may F with you and waste your time. I find it hard to believe that they will do $500 over invoice on dealer stock.

What's your location?

Last edited:

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would go with "A"! Do online research on your current truck before you go in to make the deal and wait tell the raptor is there. Find out what your truck is selling for in the condition and miles you have. I did this with my dealer and I let them know I would let them have a little meat on the bone when they resold my car. However I'm not going to buy a car without trading in mine and nothing more than $1,000 off what it is currently selling for. Once you are there stand your ground they will not want to let you leave the lot without that raptor. Most likely it was a cancelled special order and they want it gone quick. At worse case if that doesn't work then you can go to dealer "B". Good luck!

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with dealer A...closer to you...already building a relationship for service, etc...take the truck to Carmax and see what they will give you...They are usually a good starting point...if the price is fair see if the dealer will match it...if not sell it to Carmax and make your down payment... Get the truck you want cancel out the unknowns with Dealer B...that you will never see again...

"A bird in hand can't fly for shit"

Good luck...

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A,you wont reget it at all.
let me say this is a great deal as prices of raptors will increase shortly.
now, if buying the raptor puts you in a pinch maybe its best you pass for now.
good luck!