PSA....change out your factory lug nuts before it is too late 31k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to the thread, I may have missed it. What size socket are the McGuard vs the Gorilla?

McGards are a perfect, snug ** EDITED ** 22mm. No slop at all, even with a 12-side-'er. (I mistakenly said 21 mm earlier...had so many numbers in my head).

Last edited:

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries. but you can cut to that.

It's not.

I'd also place a nice wager that the same exact lug nuts are used on more than just the F150
I would add, more than likely, a very small percentage of Raptor owners, or for that matter, F-150 owners, spends time on this forum or that of other forums. I would guess less than 10-15%, and that might be generous.

I have an older air cooled Porsche that was only produced for two years, possibly three years in Europe, I use to attend many PCA events and was shocked how many fellow Porsche owners with the same model as mine, wasn’t even aware of the Porsche forum.

I think Raptor owners have a broader diverse range of owners In terms of age, so more than likely, more younger folks on this forum, but still an overall small percentage of actual owners visit forums such as this one.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, if you don't have a 1/2 inch impact wrench you are doing it wrong.

Guarantee you will never have grand memories of the good old days with a lug wrench.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Borrowed a bud's pneumatic 1/2 inch impact and had 23 of 24 done in about 20 minutes. Probably would have gone quicker if I had a better air supply, my puny 2-gal 120 PSI unit wouldn't power the driver for more than a few seconds at a time, and then probably not even at full power. 1 left is getting a bit rounded and I'm not wanting to do any more damage. Was using a 13/16 SAE socket in 'em as he didn't have a metric set. Going to try a 22mm metric impact socket then go to a nut extractor if that won't work. Wll take a break for a couple of days to recharge on this project and then give it a try with the new tools.

I don't have onboard air,so I may try the Kobalt unit myself next time Lowe's has a nice sale...labor day is coming up...

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Package I got (Impact/Drill) each came with a battery and one charger. Bought another higher ah battery as a spare and keep one on that charger at all times. Big Craftsman compressor standing over in the corner, not connected for years.

We will see... this thread had me thinking of jumping on the band wagon to preemptively get some other lugs. However, I've always used impacts (off not on) and never ever remember busting a nut I didn't intend to (that was for you Oldfart). And although my memory is fading these days, I swear I've owned at least one vehicle with similar lugs. Like someone else (I believe) has already said, always use the right sized socket. Also make sure it is completely seated before giving it the beans. Maybe that's why I've never had a problem and all my vehicles got 5k 5 wheel rotations... as will the Raptor.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ THIS ^^^

Borrowed a bud's pneumatic 1/2 inch impact and had 23 of 24 done in about 20 minutes. Probably would have gone quicker if I had a better air supply, my puny 2-gal 120 PSI unit wouldn't power the driver for more than a few seconds at a time, and then probably not even at full power. 1 left is getting a bit rounded and I'm not wanting to do any more damage. Was using a 13/16 SAE socket in 'em as he didn't have a metric set. Going to try a 22mm metric impact socket then go to a nut extractor if that won't work. Wll take a break for a couple of days to recharge on this project and then give it a try with the new tools.

I don't have onboard air,so I may try the Kobalt unit myself next time Lowe's has a nice sale...labor day is coming up...

I have an air impact. Got an electric 1/2 dewalt also. far superior. those things use too much damn air and hoses attached suck.

as said above, better be sure before hitting the button on the impact. that shit has power to be respected.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And yet there could be 5,000 that have complained and it would be a drop in the bucket.

Ford made more than 900k F150's last year alone.

People, in general, have a habit of complaining about everything. Ford is one of multiple manufacturers to use capped lug nuts. It's not a Ford exclusive design.