PSA....change out your factory lug nuts before it is too late 31k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed I had one or two swollen lug nuts when i rotated my tires 7 months ago @ 27k miles. Because of a few threads on this site, i decided to buy the Gorilla Lugs from CJ Pony Parts.

I finally got around to rotating my tires again this weekend after an oil change. I had to work hard to get almost all of the lugs off. Thy had swollen up and the 21mm factory wrench, or impact drivers would no longer fit.

Ended up having to use SAE sized (forgot which one) impacts to get them off. Then had to struggle to get them to release from the impact socket.

Old lugs...center on was one that got stuck in impact socket
50158441453_d4e894aea7_c.jpg

New look black
50159232242_42f1ce0512_c.jpg

old look silver
50158441353_c9dfe746c3_c.jpg

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, that’s not a Raptor specific problem. I’ve seen it quite a bit in the rust belt, it’s just surprising it happened to you so soon. Where are you located?

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I've used anti-seize on the lugs/plugs and most other parts on mine and customers cars for years and years. Started about 30 years ago when I was in aerospace manufacturing. Dissimilar metals generally like to react and bad things happen. Why at the very least we used a primer on just about every single fastener in the entire build. Some knob will try to tell you it's not a good idea because it changes the torque value, blah blah blah. Well of course it does, adjust accordingly.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, that’s not a Raptor specific problem. I’ve seen it quite a bit in the rust belt, it’s just surprising it happened to you so soon. Where are you located?

swelling lugs has nothing to do w/ road salt & the rust belt has nothing to do w/ salting the roads...lol

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have almost 88,000 miles on my 2011 GEN1, and since I bought it I have lived in both northern Alabama and northern Nevada. I rotate my tires every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, and there are no signs of the lug nuts swelling or seizing on the lugs. So I have to ask if Ford went to cheaper lug nuts on the GEN2 models.

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same issue on my 2012 Ford Fusion. I found out about it the hard way when I got a tire blowout. I was stuck on the side of the freeway at night whacking the stock lug wrench with a hammer. Fun times :rolleyes:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of this, but then again I only used the factory lugs for the first year.