Prediction: Raptor R ends up casualty of Ukraine/Russia war…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People are more afraid of a nuclear accident than they are of climate change though, at least in the US. It would take some effort to convince people that nuclear is safe, even though nuclear plants have been operating safely for decades around the world, and that it can be done quickly.

True, but with both parties on board and a strategic interest from the intel community, the MSM propaganda machine will fall in line and fix that. The key is modularity, which has the potential to shorten the approval process. The new gen 4 nuclear plants don't melt down when they fail, they just go out.

It's not the best answer for vehicles as well, since it would still require EVs with all their battery related issues.

You're right, it solves nothing on that front. I predict that California will pass a law saying that all EVs must be plugged into the grid if not being actively driven so that they can be used as buffer storage.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if gas is considered the best option for vehicles 20-30 years from now. Batteries have big flaws and most people are completely unaware. Just doesn't seem like it's sustainable without a huge tech break through. The biggest unknown, IMO, is hydrogen. A vehicle where water is the only byproduct seems great, but I'm sure there is some issue with 'mining' hydrogen, or too much water created, or some geopolitical downside.
Hydrogen could work. Infrastructure is again an issue. Maybe lots of little gen 4 nuke plants making either hydrogen or electricity as demand varies. Dunno.

bruizer

Reaction score
…Biden will continue to refuse to increase Oil production in USA, insist on higher Fuel economy standards, and gas prices will soar into the $5 to $7+ range for 87 octane…Ford will decide the business case is no longer there (even if it’s ready for production), due to current economic conditions and kill/postpone the Raptor R project.

So…if you were planning on holding out for a Gen3, until they released & started taking orders for the Raptor R…you might miss out on a Gen3 altogether.

Also…heard a rumor that, even if they did put the Raptor R into production…they may run the orders like they did for the Ford GT supercar, by invite ONLY…which disqualifies most people right out of the gate.

Either way…I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Just my .02
Just to help everyone be more informed, the President does not control setting oil production levels. The oil companies set their own production levels on their own. The President has no control over the production levels whatsoever.

Crosby

Reaction score
Just to help everyone be more informed, the President does not control setting oil production levels. The oil companies set their own production levels on their own. The President has no control over the production levels whatsoever.
Just to continue the "more informed" part of your analyses - Killing the Keystone pipeline on day one of your presidency with an executive order and putting a moratorium of new oil and gas leases on federal land absolutely effects oil production levels.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True, but with both parties on board and a strategic interest from the intel community, the MSM propaganda machine will fall in line and fix that. The key is modularity, which has the potential to shorten the approval process. The new gen 4 nuclear plants don't melt down when they fail, they just go out.

That's good to really hard to overcome. Nuclear has had decades of bad press, and people remember. It's going to take quite a few Hollywood movies to turn that around.

You're right, it solves nothing on that front. I predict that California will pass a law saying that all EVs must be plugged into the grid if not being actively driven so that they can be used as buffer storage.

lol. I bet it will be a crime to plug in your EV during peak hours.

Hydrogen could work. Infrastructure is again an issue. Maybe lots of little gen 4 nuke plants making either hydrogen or electricity as demand varies. Dunno.

I remember when Bush Jr talked about hydrogen as the fuel of the future in one of his SOTU address. One things for sure, we aren't going to be in flying cars anytime soon.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the regular Raptors are $70-80k trucks, with the R likely closer to $100k. Fuel costs aren't going to stop anyone from getting one that wants one and can afford it.

I never expected to see so much agonizing over gas mileage and prices in the Raptor forum. If you're driving 12k miles per year @ 16.5mpg and gas increases by $2/gal, it'll cost you an extra $121/month to drive your Raptor. If that's enough to scare buyers off and kill the R, those people had no business shopping for a $100k vehicle in the first place.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope they do build it. But this thing in Europe is not a flash in the pan. The world changed last week, period some of you know this more than me. Going forward it’s a guess as to how bad it gets for our first world problem toys.

Enrique Villalobos

Reaction score
…Biden will continue to refuse to increase Oil production in USA, insist on higher Fuel economy standards, and gas prices will soar into the $5 to $7+ range for 87 octane…Ford will decide the business case is no longer there (even if it’s ready for production), due to current economic conditions and kill/postpone the Raptor R project.

So…if you were planning on holding out for a Gen3, until they released & started taking orders for the Raptor R…you might miss out on a Gen3 altogether.

Also…heard a rumor that, even if they did put the Raptor R into production…they may run the orders like they did for the Ford GT supercar, by invite ONLY…which disqualifies most people right out of the gate.

Just my .02
Fake news !!

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just my .02
There will be a lot more than raptor r’s as a casualty if gas prices get that high! Now is the time to sell your raptor or any truck/suv or rv etc. if you cannot truly afford it. Like the old saying goes, if you can’t afford 3 of them, you can’t afford one of them.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope they do build it. But this thing in Europe is not a flash in the pan. The world changed last week, period some of you know this more than me. Going forward it’s a guess as to how bad it gets for our first world problem toys.
Oh it will be bad. Most things people bought over the last 18 months are about to take on costs that they could have never imagined.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even the regular Raptors are $70-80k trucks, with the R likely closer to $100k. Fuel costs aren't going to stop anyone from getting one that wants one and can afford it.

I never expected to see so much agonizing over gas mileage and prices in the Raptor forum. If you're driving 12k miles per year @ 16.5mpg and gas increases by $2/gal, it'll cost you an extra $121/month to drive your Raptor. If that's enough to scare buyers off and kill the R, those people had no business shopping for a $100k vehicle in the first place.

Ford should make it invite only so just elite people can get one. That way, the peasants won't even be tempted to stretch their budgets.

There are going to be some who get priced out the market, but most will not.