Prediction: Raptor R ends up casualty of Ukraine/Russia war…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with Americans is our memories are short. The last recessions high fuel prices killed the gas guzzler truck, suv and car market. Add in the electric truck variable and history will repeat for sure.

I find the fasciation with EV's amusing, especially in the California market. They have periods of rolling blackouts already and want to tax their grid even more by pushing people to EVs.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the fasciation with EV's amusing, especially in the California market. They have periods of rolling blackouts already and want to tax their grid even more by pushing people to EVs.
This ^ Every time it gets above 78 here they threaten brown outs and get the messaging out that everyone needs to reduce their consumption.

I also enjoy inexplicably destroying Africa and utilizing child labor to extract the precious metals needed to produce these batteries. Battery cars aren't a viable solution to climate change but try telling that to Sacramento as they gobble up bribes from big tech corporations

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I agree that higher gas prices should lead to more fuel efficient and EV/hybrid vehicle prices, and a slow down of purchases in general, you can't underestimate the power of 'greed' and consumerism.

There seem to be two competing trends right now, electrification and off road capability (at least in appearance). I don't think the off road trend is going to start tanking just because of high gas prices. As well, trucks aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and people will still love V8 noises and speed.

Not trying to make any predictions, just that it's not as simple as high gas prices means that poor MPG vehicles will no longer be made. Lots of competing forces going on.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problem with Americans is our memories are short. The last recessions high fuel prices killed the gas guzzler truck, suv and car market. Add in the electric truck variable and history will repeat for sure.

The wild card is nuclear power. Everyone with a brain on both sides agrees that it's the greenest source of energy we have. If we can implement it quickly, it could completely change the equation. Personally, I'm a cynic and I think that the Federal and State bureaucracies will slow everything to a crawl just to demonstrate how important they are. But maybe climate change hysteria will motivate them. Our whole world is so crazy complex these days that making any sort of prediction is a wild ass guess.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I didn’t think the R was gunna happen before the Russian conflict. The supply chain is too screwed up to build R’s. And it won’t be back on track for 3 years minimum. That’s assuming China doesn’t invade Taiwan.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The wild card is nuclear power. Everyone with a brain on both sides agrees that it's the greenest source of energy we have. If we can implement it quickly, it could completely change the equation.

People are more afraid of a nuclear accident than they are of climate change though, at least in the US. It would take some effort to convince people that nuclear is safe, even though nuclear plants have been operating safely for decades around the world, and that it can be done quickly.

It's not the best answer for vehicles as well, since it would still require EVs with all their battery related issues.

Personally, I'm a cynic and I think that the Federal and State bureaucracies will slow everything to a crawl just to demonstrate how important they are. But maybe climate change hysteria will motivate them. Our whole world is so crazy complex these days that making any sort of prediction is a wild ass guess.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if gas is considered the best option for vehicles 20-30 years from now. Batteries have big flaws and most people are completely unaware. Just doesn't seem like it's sustainable without a huge tech break through. The biggest unknown, IMO, is hydrogen. A vehicle where water is the only byproduct seems great, but I'm sure there is some issue with 'mining' hydrogen, or too much water created, or some geopolitical downside.