power steering tight turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider raptor

Reaction score
I was offroading this weekend with some friends is some sandy areas pushing the truck pretty hard and towards the end of the day the power steering pump started to whine stop the truck for a while so it would cool down on the way home from a stop turning was tight but not always normal driveing feels fine no whine comeing from the pump got home drain all the fluid put new fluid in still tight from a stop some of the times.Any idears bad rack or bad power steering pump

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tight turns in 4wd is going to kill your pump. common isssue here. i always run 2wd in sand dunes. once i feel like im getting stuck, i will switch to 4wd just to get unstuck. then its back to 2wd. also air down to about 20psi. much more traction and can still ave a lot of fun withou too much worry about losing a bead.

OP
OP
R

Raider raptor

Reaction score
so you think its just a bad pump.going to order the bigger reservoir and cooler fro SDHQ looking at the Howe pump also

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so you think its just a bad pump.going to order the bigger reservoir and cooler fro SDHQ looking at the Howe pump also
i wouldnt say its a bad pump really. could they have had a better design? yes they could have. i have seen many people blow power steering pumps doing the exact same thing i do, but yet i have not had mine go bad yet. ( @manny, @seapong, @Cleave) understanding and learning what the truck can and can not do is the most important part. the amount of stress put on certain parts when in 4wd and full lock in one direction will cause a couple issues. power steering pump and usually an iwe. best thing i can recommend is hang with a drifter for a while. watch what we do with the steering wheel when we get sideways. also, there really should never be a reason to be full lock in 4wd in the sand.

seapong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt say its a bad pump really. could they have had a better design? yes they could have. i have seen many people blow power steering pumps doing the exact same thing i do, but yet i have not had mine go bad yet. ( @manny, @seapong, @Cleave) understanding and learning what the truck can and can not do is the most important part. the amount of stress put on certain parts when in 4wd and full lock in one direction will cause a couple issues. power steering pump and usually an iwe. best thing i can recommend is hang with a drifter for a while. watch what we do with the steering wheel when we get sideways. also, there really should never be a reason to be full lock in 4wd in the sand.

Noah is absolutely right. I haven't had a power steering go out in a while. All you need steering is to initiate drift, and if you are cranked to the end or going hard against its will, you will ruin the stock pump.

Sent from my fancy walkie talkie

OP
OP
R

Raider raptor

Reaction score
Truck was in 2wd most of the time but I did have the wheel turn pretty tight some of the time.Hey learn from mistakes going to swap out pump this weekend then put the cooler and bigger reservoir tank on thanks for your input. Hope I didn't screw up the rack

seapong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea pump swap and you should be golden. The stock rack and pinion is pretty solid. Keep us updated!

If you happen to do it again (hopefully not) pay attention to the steering wheel and you will feel a slight grind. At that point you can say RIP to your stock pump.

Sent from my fancy walkie talkie