GEN 1 Power steering problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
going to have to disagree here. the oem pump works fine. its the driver. my pump lasted 172k miles before a hose split and blew my pump because i lost all fluid. i come from a background of rally and drift, and just about everyone i have talked to, end up doing something wrong that causes the pump to go. mainly 4wd and full lock on the wheel. countless people have blown their pump doing donuts and more so in 4wd. when on bumpy and rutted terrain at high speeds people are sawing at the wheel. fighting the wheel also causes these problems. you have to learn to steer with smaller wheel input and more throttle response. if anything a larger cooler would help more than a pump
Exactly, at full lock the system pressure spikes and causes the pressure relief valve to open. That can occur multiple times when cranking the wheel to full lock doing donuts. Factor in that it’s a 10 year old truck most likely running original components and fluid, add the heat from pressure spikes and no airflow to cool it down, and you have a recipe for system failure. Never mind the fact that Gen 1 used the same PS pump as a standard F-150, but had to deal with the extra weight and 35” tires.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, at full lock the system pressure spikes and causes the pressure relief valve to open. That can occur multiple times when cranking the wheel to full lock doing donuts. Factor in that it’s a 10 year old truck most likely running original components and fluid, add the heat from pressure spikes and no airflow to cool it down, and you have a recipe for system failure. Never mind the fact that Gen 1 used the same PS pump as a standard F-150, but had to deal with the extra weight and 35” tires.
Okay, I'll bite first. Can either GEN2 or GEN3 Raptor PS pumps be retro-fitted to GEN1 model Raptors?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are 09-14 F150 EPAS racks. The 6.2L trucks were the only F150s that did not get the EPAS by the end of the run though, so making it work (with the stock ECU) probably would not be easy.

The electric racks did not have a good reputation in the 13th Gen trucks, at all. It was physically strong enough, but they used crappy electronic parts inside. All of Ford's first gen electric racks that came out in 09-10 time frame had the same issues.

The suppliers have corrected those issues and it seems like they hold up fine now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RATRODIN

RATRODIN

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the advice. Yes the fluid has been replaced. Some don't like it, But, I do enjoy doing more with the truck than driving down the highway.
And as far as a rookie mistake. Thanks for your professional opinion. glad you were there to observe.200.gif

Tim_Robison

Reaction score
Yeah, I replaced mine twice, one time because I did it wrong. (Replace fluid reservoir it has a filter) rather large filter btw. And it is not easy to take off.
3 12” 1/4’ drive extensions
1/4’ drive ratchet
360° swivel
8 mm socket short
Honestly, if someone knows a better way, please tell me or send a link. Mine runs smooth.