GEN 1 Power steering out! 75000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PS Maintenance Tip:

As a matter of routine maintenance, drain and refill the PS reservoir every time you change the oil. As there is very little fluid in the lines and the rack and most of the fluid is in the reservoir, this practice is an easy and effective way to keep your PS pump and rack in service. I've been doing this for years on every vehicle I own, and I have never suffered a PS system failure of any kind.

Jeff550

Reaction score
What did you do right before the steering went out? Or did it slowly die.
Like said above, A reservoir isnt going to fix a bad pump or abusing the pump

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He has mentioned many times that he is getting a new pump, but he wants to upgrade the oem reservoir as well, thats why he is asking about the rpg one.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS Maintenance Tip:

As a matter of routine maintenance, drain and refill the PS reservoir every time you change the oil. As there is very little fluid in the lines and the rack and most of the fluid is in the reservoir, this practice is an easy and effective way to keep your PS pump and rack in service. I've been doing this for years on every vehicle I own, and I have never suffered a PS system failure of any kind.
I’ve been doing this after my power steering started struggling at about the 60k mark. It really helps. My steering pump has not gotten any better over time and I’m just waiting for it to finally fail, but I’m already at 223k and it’s still going. Its not constant and only struggles on certain occasions like long trips or aggressive driving.

OP
OP
Tim_Robison

Tim_Robison

Reaction score
I was running down the dirt road about 65 mph working it a little hard. Didn’t notice anything that day . The next day I noticed a difference , and I have minor power from the power steering when I first start it up. I might try to run new fluid through it to see if it would work?

OP
OP
Tim_Robison

Tim_Robison

Reaction score
He has mentioned many times that he is getting a new pump, but he wants to upgrade the oem reservoir as well, thats why he is asking about the rpg one.
Honestly I’m open to any idea maybe get this pump to work! But as far as a replacement I’m seeing what to do already bought an inner cooler. That’ll help with the fluid not getting too hot

OP
OP
Tim_Robison

Tim_Robison

Reaction score
I’ve been doing this after my power steering started struggling at about the 60k mark. It really helps. My steering pump has not gotten any better over time and I’m just waiting for it to finally fail, but I’m already at 223k and it’s still going. Its not constant and only struggles on certain occasions like long trips or aggressive driving.
I was definitely doing aggressive driving but it was only in two wheel drive

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was running down the dirt road about 65 mph working it a little hard. Didn’t notice anything that day . The next day I noticed a difference , and I have minor power from the power steering when I first start it up. I might try to run new fluid through it to see if it would work?
If the pump is toast, it's toast. You aren't resurrecting it.