possible v8 in new 2020 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, no problem. I have kept track of every fill-up on every vehicle I've ever owned.

On November 2, 2017 I filled up at 75,269.1 miles. 34 fill-ups later I filled up on November 21, 2019 at 85,169.6 miles. In that period I burned 610.56 gallons of medium-grade fuel. Do the math: 9,900.5 miles divided by 610.56 = 16.22 mpg.

Someone called me a liar. @MFNG ?
Not so.

Last edited:

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, no problem. I have kept track of every fill-up on every vehicle I've ever owned.

On November 2, 2017 I filled up at 75,269.1 miles. 34 fill-ups later I filled up on November 21, 2019 at 85,169.6 miles. In that period I burned 610.56 gallons of medium-grade fuel. Do the math: 9,900.5 miles divided by 610.56 = 16.22 mpg.

Someone called me a liar. @MFNG ? Not so.

Data trumps all. That’s amazing and I would love to get that, as I’m sure others would.

Beyond being those who drive like teenagers, what’s your set up?

Daily miles highway, city, mix? Tell us your secrets.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's no magic, @MFNG. There is one and only one fuel economy device possible on a 6,000 pound, high profile, 4x4 with the aerodynamics of a brick powered by a high performance naturally aspirated iron block V8: The Right Foot.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no magic, @MFNG. There is one and only one fuel economy device possible on a 6,000 pound, high profile, 4x4 with the aerodynamics of a brick: The Right Foot.

And I thought it was cruise control this whole time. Thanks for the help!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, I don't use cruise control unless I'm on the Interstate.

With only 100 posts you're pretty new here, so I offer this suggestion: Do not make it a habit of calling people a liar here. It won't serve to make you friends, and it may well taint your personal experience on this forum. Be nice, and the FRF people will go out of their way to help you.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't use cruise control unless I'm on the Interstate.

With only 100 posts you're pretty new here, so I offer this suggestion: Do not make it a habit of calling people a liar here. It won't serve to make you friends, and it may well taint your personal experience on this forum. Be nice, and the FRF people will go out of their way to help you.

Being a salty federal employee I thought you might appreciate the FNG tag with only 100 posts.

Didn’t mean to offend you, just interested in how you obtain your mpg’s. I guess I need to use mid grade since I drive like a granny and still get 11.7.

Maybe if I drive the fire engine that way I can get more that 4 mpg ;)

bryanb

Reaction score

Someone called me a liar. @MFNG ?
Not so.
Same here. 16.5-17.0 in the summer, 14.5-15.5 in the winter.

These are both pretty good accomplishments! I do have a teenager-like right foot, but why the hell not?!? My actual gas mileage in the city is 10.7 MPG according to the truck's own calculation and my driving is definitely all stop and go city driving during the week. My highway driving will bump that to 14+ MPG, but I have never seen 16.

As I said in the original statement, 11 MPG is city driving. I said 11 MPG because that's what Ford printed on the label and that's one of the values used in the CAFE calculations. I dug the label up and was rather surprised at what a terrible person I am for buying this vehicle. A "2" on the greenhouse gas rating! I am a monster!

upload_2019-11-25_7-42-1.png

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here. 16.5-17.0 in the summer, 14.5-15.5 in the winter.

Most aren't aware, but the winter fuel formulation has a bit less energy per unit of volume than the summer formulation.

Now, back to the V8 discussion. @Marcus85 makes a very interesting point - that there may be more behind corporate engine decisions than the fleet mpg pressures imposed by big government. (See what I did there?) The design challenge - and it's a big one - would be to get V6 mileage out of V8 powerplants. That's a challenge that might drive some very interesting R&D, but there's a simple way and cheap way to do it: small displacement V8s. About 10 years ago you could get a Dodge Durango with a 4.7L V8 that had (oddly, I think) 2 spark plugs per cylinder. It was reliable, but it got terrible fuel economy - worse than my 6.2L, 6,000 pound Raptor by far.

Now suppose, and this is just supposition, Ford took the venerable 5.0L V8 and put dual (separate exhaust and intake) valve timing and direct injection on it? Done right, with a good transmission, good differential ratio, and decent intake and exhaust components, I bet a truck so equipped could approach 20 mpg average.