possible v8 in new 2020 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford took the venerable 5.0L V8 and put dual (separate exhaust and intake) valve timing and direct injection on it? Done right, with a good transmission, good differential ratio, and decent intake and exhaust components, I bet a truck so equipped could approach 20 mpg average.

My dad has a 17" 5.0 4x4 screw 6speed and when he is on road trips he regularly sees 20.5-21. Totally highway at 60-65 going from KC to Branson MO.

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most aren't aware, but the winter fuel formulation has a bit less energy per unit of volume than the summer formulation.

Now, back to the V8 discussion. @Marcus85 makes a very interesting point - that there may be more behind corporate engine decisions than the fleet mpg pressures imposed by big government. (See what I did there?) The design challenge - and it's a big one - would be to get V6 mileage out of V8 powerplants. That's a challenge that might drive some very interesting R&D, but there's a simple way and cheap way to do it: small displacement V8s. About 10 years ago you could get a Dodge Durango with a 4.7L V8 that had (oddly, I think) 2 spark plugs per cylinder. It was reliable, but it got terrible fuel economy - worse than my 6.2L, 6,000 pound Raptor by far.

Now suppose, and this is just supposition, Ford took the venerable 5.0L V8 and put dual (separate exhaust and intake) valve timing and direct injection on it? Done right, with a good transmission, good differential ratio, and decent intake and exhaust components, I bet a truck so equipped could approach 20 mpg average.

I heard the 5.0 may not continue and there is a new 4.8L. Then again, this is all hearsay and rumors at this point. Nothing confirmed.
http://fordauthority.com/2019/08/2021-ford-f-150-4-8l-v8-engine-know/

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked what Ruger said. I'm keeping my 2011 6.2L. It's a work Horse, never had any problems. I see more and more problems with the Gen 2s. I rather put 20 Grand into my Gen 1 and make it Brand new again in Restoration than use it as a down payment on Problems

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clickbait lol

Ford already sells some of their shelby's for 100k+ for those who absolutely cant live without a v8. The only way this will happen is if ram drops the trx and it ACTUALLY has the hellcat motor at 700+hp. Ford will probably answer with a detuned version of the gt500 motor made for truck use (much like the EcoBoost in the raptor now being from the Ford GT) and list them at 100+. That still seems unlikely to me as the trx will most likely be a detuned version of the hellcat motor at 500-550hp which ford can answer with a tune on the "quicker, lighter, more balanced" EcoBoost... Just my .02. But for 2020? Too much hype about the bronco and the electric mustang to change the raptor right now. Car companies have surprised before though.

No expert by any means,but aren't all the New Gen2's 6cyl..? The Shelby's they are selling now are V6...with all the fancy bumpers,chase racks and lights...I was at a Raptor gathering last month and parked right next to 3-4 of the $100K+ Gen2's and were all V6's...Several Ford dealers brought them over and were telling me they dont even get sent to Shelby,they just add the fancy shit in house...He was trying to sell me one and told me to "listen to this" (not knowing I owned the V-8 next to it...I just laughed and told him to listen to this....I won that "match".. :)
Not sure,but does the SUPER SNAKE Raptor have the V-8...??? I know they are pushing $140K...

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dodge is a failing car company that got bought out by another failing car company (Fiat). Wild success is not in their future lol...

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ram TRX will force Ford to either produce a V8 powered Raptor, or cancel the Raptor model altogether. Ram has been on a tear for the last few years. F-Series are going down and this is part of the reason:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ram-heavy-duty-pickup-2020-truck-of-the-year

By that same logic, Ford is being forced to produce an all electric Raptor (or F-150 at least) by Tesla. What path is going to lead to the most success/sales in the long term? Or perhaps they should be looking taking both paths or some alternative path?

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's special about the TRX....perhaps it will have a big motor but it looks like a Ram with a winch. Narrow track width, tires off a Caravan, regular fenders. Why again should people care about this truck? It isn't special at all.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why you keep posting that pic with the Italian truck ruining the scenic view?

"Seriously, you gotta park that thing right there?"

"He thinks it's- nevermind, let's just move over here."

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad has a 17" 5.0 4x4 screw 6speed and when he is on road trips he regularly sees 20.5-21. Totally highway at 60-65 going from KC to Branson MO.

I had a 2012 tuned 5.0 and I consistently got 20-21 mpg.

With my Raptor, I can get 14 in town and 18 on the highway (tuned).