"Popping" front end noise during wheel travel...

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by grantoser, May 3, 2013.

1. T1T.Raptor

T1T.Raptor Full Access Member

I'm having the same issue now... :-/

2. Phyguy

Phyguy FRF Addict

Loosen and re-tighten the skid plate. Sometimes it can seat wrong and makes weird popping noises especially at slow speeds and light turns. Has happened to me several times on a couple different bumpers.

3. M64D RAPTOR

M64D RAPTOR Full Access Member

My new one started this after the dealer did mid perch. Need to go and get everything tightened up.

4. verytalonted

verytalonted Full Access Member

Mine has been doing something similar. Seems to be front right side.
    Mid-perch for about a year now, mild off roading, and a TRR.

Anybody got a atorque sheet for all the bolts that could be loose???

5. Towerhog

Towerhog Full Access Member

I know for a fact its not the shock and most likely not the lower shock bolt on mine. Ive installed a set of Fox 3.0's and it still makes the noise. The lower shock bolts are new and torqued to 425 ft lbs. I even used anti-seize between the nut and washer to help with stiction.

The items that are left are: CV axles, wheel hub, LCA, UCA, and (most likely not) steering rack.

Im trying 2 items this weekend. A new CV axle and a new wheel hub. The dealer is replacing the steering rack (under warranty) early next week. Ill get them to do a full alignment while they're at it. I hope that this will solve the noise problem.

6. verytalonted

verytalonted Full Access Member

I am thinking it maybe my sway bar.
    I have removed and readded a couple of time before... Something might have comes loose (got the idea from reading other threads about this)

It is suppose to be cold and rainy today, so I will update when I check everything out
    (weather says high 80s later this week, love west TX alternating season through the week, LOL)

I will update when I find more.

7. Ratpatator

Ratpatator Full Access Member

I realize this is an old thread but I saw your post. I also have the fox 3.0s and the knock got worse when I put them on and also had the lower bolts torqued to 425 and I have a brand new rack and pinion. Did you ever figure out what the noise was coming from. I have some play in the upper bushing of the 3.0s fox says is normal.

8. jdubub

jdubub #AllRaptorsMatter Supporting Member

Same damn popping noise issue on mine as well. 27k miles. Everything is tight as can be.

9. 40oz

40oz Full Access Member

Any follow up to this? I have the popping/clunking noise when traveling down dirt roads or over beat up paved roads. Definitely sounds like something is either loose or wore out.

10. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

Have you checked the balljoints? Specifically the lowers. Mine were toast when I got it with 152k miles, put in Moogs last year and the noise is back, will go with Motorcraft stock replacements soon (rockauto had them cheapest I could find). Could also be lower front shock bushing (Kartek has stockers relatively cheap), shock itself needing rebuild/replacement, upper balljoint/UCA (since you can't just replace the balljoint), LCA pivot bolts loose and moving in the stupid slots (cam nut adjuster will help there), upper shock bolts loose, even rack/tie rods. Lots of potential places to make noise and not easy to pinpoint, process of elimination...

40oz likes this.