"Popping" front end noise during wheel travel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

40oz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocks were rebuild earlier this year. I will get torque wrench out and make sure shock bolt is 400lbs.

Has anyone used a gopro up front while driving to pinpoint location of noise? Not sure if possible, but a thought.

Any benifit to aftermarket UCA or LCA? I live in the south, so no real place to use the truck as it should like forum members out west.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocks were rebuild earlier this year. I will get torque wrench out and make sure shock bolt is 400lbs.

Has anyone used a gopro up front while driving to pinpoint location of noise? Not sure if possible, but a thought.

Any benifit to aftermarket UCA or LCA? I live in the south, so no real place to use the truck as it should like forum members out west.
There are benefits to both but drawbacks as well. An aftermarket UCA (most anyway) puts camber/caster adjustment at the UCA instead of the slotted LCA pivot mounts, which can move under hard use. You can dial in more caster if you want, and can reinforce the LCA pivot pockets along with a slot eliminator. UCA's usually allow you to replace the upper balljoint/heim/delta instead of stock where you have to replace the whole arm (but they aren't expensive stock). The downside is significant cost and only tangible benefits when really pushed hard (i.e. it doesn't reach the break point as quickly, alignment doesn't get out of whack as easily, etc.).

Aftermarket LCA's mainly offer a bypass shock mount and typically a heim instead of a balljoint. Very expensive. If you don't need bypasses along with your coilovers, it's waaaay overkill. IMHO LCA's get you into the realm of a more purpose-built offroader; certainly won't kill streetability but at some point it's more dirt toy than anything else because when you're sporting front bypasses you probably have or are considering an engine cage, linked rear, full cage, etc. etc.

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
I am having a similar noise but from the rear at slow speeds. I notice it most when backing out if my garage. Not obscene but annoying. Any ideas?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am having a similar noise but from the rear at slow speeds. I notice it most when backing out if my garage. Not obscene but annoying. Any ideas?

Clean the leaf springs with a power washer. Dirt and debris can build up between the leaf packs and cause noises that are audible at low speeds.