Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

"Popping" front end noise during wheel travel...

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by grantoser, May 3, 2013.

1. grantoser

grantoser Full Access Member

Was just doing some easy offloading at like 5mph yesterday and noticed my truck makes a popping noise in the front end during wheel travel. Is this the notorious front end "clunk?" Quite loud and was alarming at first... Was scared I broke something.

A little disappointing to have an issue under such easy offloading when these trucks are built to be pushed hard. Can't image what the noise would sound like going 75mph over a bumpy desert trail.

2. iHaveGas

iHaveGas FRF Addict

I have not had this issue but for the most part if I'm doing easy off roading I don't have the 4 wheel drive on.

3. BlueSVT

BlueSVT FRF Addict

Could be loose lower shock mount bolts... Mines done this many times, just have to crank down on them and tighten the crap out of it!

Check and see if they're not super tight, you can't really over torque those bad boys.

tbone likes this.
  4. grantoser

Ok maybe that's it... I had my perch setting changed to mid perch at an offroad shop... Maybe they didn't tighten it enough during the reinstall. That would be great if all it needs is a tightening. Is it easy to get to without a lift? Not by my truck at the moment to check it out

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

It does it in 2wd and 4wd... Hopefully its the lower shock as stated...

5. banman12

banman12 Full Access Member

Those are supossed to be torqued to 406 ft-lbs, might be difficult to get them to that lol.

6. Cummins_Bred

Cummins_Bred Full Access Member

That is an assload of torque!!! You just need to put a wrench on one side to hold it still and the other side to another Raptor's driveshaft. Voila, ~400 ft-lbs hahaha

puddle hunter likes this.
  7. grantoser

Lol got it to tighten about a quarter of a turn... But that's all I could do without breaking my arm. Still made popping noise after... But this could mean it just needs to be tighter... Not sure how I'm going to get it up to 400lbs... My car lift is in use... Prob need to lift the truck and get a long pipe under there on the wrench.

Anyone else thinking this lower bolt is the issue? Anyone else had a popping noise under wheel travel?

Proelky likes this.
  8. Huck

Huck FRF Addict

I get a pop noise when i leave a stop from the suspension, and i have 3.0's. It might just be the load shifting. I didnt have it with the stockers.

9. Proelky

Proelky Member

I purchased a 2013 SuperCrew a couple weeks ago and also have a popping noise on the front right of the truck however, my noise occurs under 15mph and on flat ground. I've asked the dealer to verify torque specs on upper/lower shock mounting positions, and the steering rack. I also contacted Ford directly and filed a case with them. I was told that if more people took the time to contact them that Ford would most likely issue a recall or a service bulletin at minimum. The issue stands that Ford deems the noise normal and Fox is saying it's not normal. Unless the shock is physically damaged or leaking the dealer will not warranty it. However, the dealer has no way of determining if the shock is properly charged or assembled correctly. I will update as I move forward.

Ford Customer Service/Support 800-392-3673

10. captainphx

captainphx Full Access Member

I had the same issue after mid perch adjustment. Tightened the crap out of everything.....gone!