Front end clunk - is this sway bar end links? (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

970rap

Reaction score
I have a front end clunk sound that is most noticeable when going over uneven pavement, cracks, manhole covers at 10-25mph with the windows down. It probably exists when going faster but by then the wind noise makes it hard.

I recently posted in this thread asking if there should be play in the front axle shaft where it meets the hub: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/front-axle-shaft-question.95096/

But I'm assuming that's normal since the sound appears to only come when I hit these things with my driver's side wheel (or both). I've had my end links replaced once already under warranty, which did fix the sound I was hearing at the time. I've taken it back in for this since and was told (1) my end links are fine and (2) they couldn't detect the noise I described anyway. I should have provided a video back then, which is my fault. They won't hear it if they keep the windows up, if the road is perfectly smooth, or if they are going too fast, all of which I told them.

I just took a video of me driving 15-20mph through my paved neighborhood and hitting 3 slightly recessed manhole covers.

This happens at 4, 16, and 25 seconds in. Sorry the video is ****** and doesn't show what I'm driving over (I guess I was trying to just not drop the phone) and there is wind noise, but unless I'm crazy there are clear clunk sounds at the points I described. When offroading with a bit of speed/on bumpy/rutted roads the noise is near constant.

Does this sound link end links (again)? Or something else? Also, I replaced my shocks a few months ago and the clunk was present both before and after.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
Same sound in 2H/4A/4H. The end links feel very solid, no play at all when pulling on them.

RDR2019

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Mine has been at the dealer for three weeks while they diagnose this same issue…oddly enough mine happens after the truck has warmed up, which leads me to believe it’s an exhaust shield and they insist all of that seems to be solid.

tryozzy

Reaction score
Had this happen to me after I left the dealership from a pre-ESP inspection. Noticed a metal like clanging noise when I went slow on the driver's side. I called and scheduled an appointment with them. Before taking it in, I wanted to take the wheel off and see if the tie-rods or something was broken. When messing with the lugs, I pushed the brake caliper and what do you know...my brake caliper was loose. The top bolt had fallen out after the inspection. They claim it wasn't them, but oh well. Got a bolt from AZ and did it myself, bc I am tired of their shenanigan's.