Front axle shaft question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should there be play in the shaft at the hub? I'm searching for my clunking that I hear in front, and notice both front shafts are sloppy in the hub. Def not a normal thing on any other car I've had. There is a few MM of slop at the transaxle, which is normal, but not the hub. I'm going to pull the wheel and torque the axle nut. Thoughts?20221208_172002.jpg

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should there be play in the shaft at the hub? I'm searching for my clunking that I hear in front, and notice both front shafts are sloppy in the hub. Def not a normal thing on any other car I've had. There is a few MM of slop at the transaxle, which is normal, but not the hub. I'm going to pull the wheel and torque the axle nut. Thoughts?View attachment 383258
Verified that the axle nut is tight?

StraightSixM2C

Reaction score
Yes, the torque# is quite low. It’s a small nut that effectively holds the outer bearing which is tiny and not the major load bearing. I too replaced the sway bar end links and eliminated most of the noise. Once that was gone I realized it was wheel bearings. Front end is silent now.
When I put a pry bar on everything initially, the sway bar end links felt fine. Maybe the slightest bit of play.

StraightSixM2C

Reaction score
See how small the axle nut is compared to the lug studs?

Attachments

• E692017E-E95E-44F5-9476-AA79EF1BD2F0.jpeg
    E692017E-E95E-44F5-9476-AA79EF1BD2F0.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 26

970rap

Reaction score
Not to grave dig here, but can anyone verify whether there should be any play in the front axle shaft at the hub? I am chasing down a front end clunk as well. I've had my end links replaced previously, which did fix the issue, but now it's back (not sure if it's quite the same sound as last time, possibly is) and last time it was at the dealership they said the end links were fine and they couldn't detect the clunk anyway. I should have brought in a video, as it's only detectable at slowish speeds, with the windows down, over rough pavement/cracks/manhole covers, and I get the feeling all they do is drive it down the road with the windows up and say it's fine.

Anyway, I got underneath today and noticed that I could make a possibly similar metallic clunk sound at the hub when pulling/shaking by hand on the axle shafts. Is this normal? The end links feel tight by hand, but I never had any play by hand last time around either.

In case it's helpful, I've recently had my shocks rebuilt and had the same clunk before and after, so I don't think it's connected to anything related to the whatever is loosened/tightened there.

Thanks!

silverworx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the torque# is quite low. It’s a small nut that effectively holds the outer bearing which is tiny and not the major load bearing. I too replaced the sway bar end links and eliminated most of the noise. Once that was gone I realized it was wheel bearings. Front end is silent now.
When I put a pry bar on everything initially, the sway bar end links felt fine. Maybe the slightest bit of play.
We'll check the wheel bearings next on the 2019 Raptor. My uncle is getting annoyed with the front end clunk so he replaced the sway bar end links. He ordered a set of new tires from 4Wheelonline so we'll have the bearings checked.