Upfitter wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the missing ambient lighting in my 23 a while ago and I'm not convinced I enjoy the light coming from the media bin. I was thinking I would love the ability to turn it on/off when I want rather than it being on all the time.

Is there a way to utilize one of the upfitter switches to tap into the hot side of the wire to interrupt the light? I'm guessing not since it's already getting its power from the trucks 12v harness, but maybe I am not thinking this through properly.

thoughts?

Edit: meant to put this in the lighting forum.

Screenshot-2023-11-26-at-10-11-49-PM.png
IMG-6030.jpg

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Could just run a small toggle on the ground side and mount inside the compartment. No reason to use an uplifter switch for it.

OP
OP
ekalb

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true. I could think of a few workarounds like that, but I was hoping there was a way to utilize the upfitter area since there is about zero chance I will ever add enough accessories to fill them up.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
You can, it's just a ton more work. Would need to run a power wire to the passanger kick panel and hook up to the switch wire. If the wires were already run through the firewall, you will need to cut it. Make sure the amp draw of the light is within the spec of the switch you want to use.

OP
OP
ekalb

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Nex!

Amperage and that single LED were definitely on my mind.

I wasn't sure if I was missing an obvious easy path to using the up fitters for this. I appreciate you heading me down the right path.