Pissed after recent software update!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
I doubt sincerely that the dealer did anything to the truck programming to disable ASS and despite the menu option with misleading verbiage, that setting does not survive an ignition cycle. This is an economy/CAFE “feature”, and I use that term very loosely. More than likely, your observation of the truck not automatically shutting off was coincidental.

Sync doesn’t control, or have anything to do with the ASS, completely separate modules in the truck.

There are multiple ways to disable ASS on the fleet of Ford vehicles, ranging from simple wire jumper on the manual switch, pull the wire from the harness, jumper the trailer harness(?) Forscan, or buy a module for the switch that ‘defaults’ the ASS to off, but allows you to enable it manually - the opposite of what Ford does. CJ Pony parts sells one that’s plug and play for the switch, Forscan turns it off completely.

What you are saying sounds like it would make sense, however I went at least 6 months with countless ignition recycles and and the switch would default as "off" upon start up. Trust me, I know the difference.

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
How Lazy have we gotten? It took the same amount of time to push the disable button then say to start your vehicle, messing with radio and etc. If this really bother any of you, for God sake please go get help, there are other things to worry about then have to push a button that would take less than a second to solved your problem. God Bless young man
geez, go buy a prius and vote for Bernie

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
Quit tapping wires and pulling apart the dash and get with the new times. FORSCAN cost 10$ for a 12 month subscription and the OBD2 adapter is 27$ from Amazon. Spreadsheets are all over the web for free. 2017 SCREW 802A and I just did the following between the last 2 weekends.

1 - DISABLE double Horn Honk - When you get out of the vehicle with key fob in pocket, it does not honk anymore.
2 - DISABLE fake engine noise - Apparently and evidently the speakers in the cab emit an engine noise. Much better now its off.
3 - ENABLE heated and cooled seat and heated steering wheel shortcut on home screen.
4 - DISABLE Auto start / stop function. Disable switch and function and warning dash message. Like it never existed.
5 - ENABLE engine oil and trans temps show actual Temp above gauges on dash.
6 - ENABLE Bambi Mode. When I hit the brights, the low beams stay on as well.
7 - ENABLE auto fold rear view mirrors when parking the truck.
8 - DISABLE Start up chimes when staring the vehicle. Doo-Doo-Doo. So annoying.
9 - ENABLE Secure Idle Enable. If the key fob is is not in the vehicle when its running, you can not put it into gear.

All of these mods were made with FORSCAN and not pulling apart the dash and jumping wires.

winner for best answer!!!

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 802A and I live in Southern California. I personally hate the auto shut-off feature when coming to a stoplight. I always manually turn it off from the button on my dash. About 6 months ago, I took the truck into the dealer for some unrelated warranty work and when I got it back, there were some tell tale signs that the software had been updated. Cool! So I did some exploring through the system settings and discovered that I could permanently toggle off/disable the auto start feature. I was ecstatic! Well about 2 weeks ago I pulled up to a Starbucks and my Sync automatically joined the WiFi and performed an automatic update. I then noticed auto stop was happening again. I went back into the system and turned off this feature, but now every time I restart the truck, it reverts back to the default of auto stop on. GGGRRRRR!! I am pissed. Did anyone else experience this? Is there a work around (besides Forscan) that I am not aware of? I know this is a minor thing but it is just f*^king annoying.

what are you talking about going in to the system and turning it off? There is no option in the system to turn off auto start stop. Are you going through the instrument cluster? You state you can still go into the system and turn it off but it defaults back when restarted.

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
what are you talking about going in to the system and turning it off? There is no option in the system to turn off auto start stop. Are you going through the instrument cluster? You state you can still go into the system and turn it off but it defaults back when restarted.
yes

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
discovered that I could permanently toggle off/disable the auto start feature
This was never possible as you described.

You have 8 options to disable it. Some are temp (power cycle to power cycle, some are configuration based, some are mostly perm)

1. Press the button on the dash
2. Change the setting in the console BUT it reverts back to enable on restart (My 18 and 19 acted the same way)
3. FORSCAN mod
4. Tow a trailer and enable it on the console
5. put a trailer pigtail in the plug on the back
6. unplug the something under the dash
7. Aftermarket tune.
8. Run in sport mode.

There never was a software update from Ford to disable this feature.

As for the update on the screen, it sounds like your Sync was updated, not your car operating software which is not possible from Ford at this time OTA

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
This is how all Raptors, 2017 to now operate.
right, but for 6 months it stayed that way upon engine recycle. During that time when I would start up in the morning, or anytime for that matter, the amber disable indicator on the manual dash button would automatically be lit, indicating that Auto Stop was disabled. Sorry, I know it doesn't make sense but that is what happened.