Phantom power draw? Dash Cam? Truck has low battery after 2-3 days sitting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've briefly mentioned this previously in the dashcam installation thread or post (on mobile at the moment and will link it later) but I feel that ever since my dash cam install, I'm getting a phantom power draw to the point where the truck says it's turning off remote features through Ford Pass (whatever) and the screen in the truck says, "turning system off to save battery" or a long those words.

I'd think that the truck could sit longer than a few days without concern, and I have the dashcam configured to turn off with the truck and ACC fuse. Not sure where to check first aside from simply disconnecting it and seeing if that solves the issue and go from there.

My Mustang has the same dash cam, same settings, and I can leave it for weeks and it's fine and happy.

Anyone been down this road before? I have concerns that my ground isn't in the correct location, though it was about the only unpainted thing I could see down there that was accessible.

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Raptors are finicky with electrical. Pull the fuse and test. Otherwise you will need to do a draw test and start pulling fuses. That will help you narrow it down a bit.

What year and mileage?

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptors are finicky with electrical. Pull the fuse and test. Otherwise you will need to do a draw test and start pulling fuses. That will help you narrow it down a bit.

What year and mileage?
2022 with 10,000 and change for miles. Have had this dash cam installed since probably I dunno, 4-5,000ish?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did you tap into for power? If the ground you used is shared with a module, that can cause issues as well. Modern vehicles are simply not designed to accommodate aftermarket electrical/electronic add-ons, hence why the upfitter switches exist.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did you tap into for power? If the ground you used is shared with a module, that can cause issues as well. Modern vehicles are simply not designed to accommodate aftermarket electrical/electronic add-ons, hence why the upfitter switches exist.
For constant power I used fuse position 25. This position is unused according to the owner's manual, but there was a fuse located in that position and constant power as well. I tapped onto fuse position 35 for the switched power.

1697657406731.png

I was in the Mustang all day today, so I'll see if it's acting funky later tomorrow since I won't be using the Raptor until the morning. I do plan to just unplug it and see if there's any differences.

WestlakeHorn

Reaction score
Dumb question, but are you sure the battery terminals are tight?

Wife had this issue with a Platinum after it was delivered from the dealer with loose battery terminals.

Not kidding

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dumb question, but are you sure the battery terminals are tight?

Wife had this issue with a Platinum after it was delivered from the dealer with loose battery terminals.

Not kidding
I'm relatively sure. I had it all torn apart a few thousand miles ago to install said dashcam and lighting. Worth a check, super simple. I'll let ya know!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For constant power I used fuse position 25. This position is unused according to the owner's manual, but there was a fuse located in that position and constant power as well. I tapped onto fuse position 35 for the switched power.

View attachment 428144

I was in the Mustang all day today, so I'll see if it's acting funky later tomorrow since I won't be using the Raptor until the morning. I do plan to just unplug it and see if there's any differences.
Neither are designated for customer access, and there are multiple components on F35 that are sensitive to voltage quality.

There is also the possibility that your device is back feeding voltage from F25 to F35, causing multiple components/modules to stay awake.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Neither are designated for customer access, and there are multiple components on F35 that are sensitive to voltage quality.

There is also the possibility that your device is back feeding voltage from F25 to F35, causing multiple components/modules to stay awake.
I've disconnected everything power wise, just didn't get a chance to unhook the ground wire. I'm away from the truck for about a week, so we'll see how it goes once I return. Appreciate you all!