Phantom power draw? Dash Cam? Truck has low battery after 2-3 days sitting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unhooked ground wire today. I cannot think of anything else unless one of the popular FORScan modifications caused an issue - though I'd doubt that I'd be the first to bring it to light.

I disconnected the ground today so there's absolutely zero anything physically connected to the dashcam.

I was away for two weeks from the truck and upon my return, I noticed that it would unlock VIA the keyfob, and FordPass App never said it was in deep sleep or anything. After I unlocked the truck, the welcome lighting didn't illuminate, nor did the interior lighting when a door was opened. I checked the switch on the overhead console and it wasn't turned off.

Anyway, I drove the truck this morning and it was charging at 14.5V and after a while of short trips (most of mine are, which I'm also wondering if there's an issue with short trips) it went back down to 13-13.5. The welcome lighting began to work again and the interior lights functioned normally.

It was after all that as to when I disconnected the ground. I'll give it a few days and see if anything changes. I have a multitude of vehicles to drive, so I can leave the Raptor to sit if need be for "totally scientific" testing.

Cheers to @Antho and @FordTechOne for all your knowledge and insight. @WestlakeHorn my terminals were tight. I broke them loose, visually inspected them, and then tightened them back down after a little wiggle back and forth for good measure.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would charge the battery until you know its completely charged and run a BMS reset on it.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would charge the battery until you know its completely charged and run a BMS reset on it.
Currently charging. Though I just thought of something else that I hadn't considered. @FordTechOne had me reading up and seems that the BMS resets itself after around 8 hours of being parked, locked, and just turned off.

I never lock the truck in the garage and that's the only time it sits for that amount of time. Could that simple thing be possibly contributing to my issues? Because I don't lock the doors for a specified amount of time?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Possible. Where do you keep the key? Hopefully not in the truck and somewhere away from the truck. Inside or too close the truck will think you are getting ready to drive so it will cycle computers and what not.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Possible. Where do you keep the key? Hopefully not in the truck and somewhere away from the truck. Inside or too close the truck will think you are getting ready to drive so it will cycle computers and what not.
The key is not in the truck not close enough to think I'm getting ready to drive. My wife's key with her Mach-E has a ridiculous range and the welcome lighting comes on all the time randomly. I now have a small faraday bag we keep all the keys in Mission Darkness has some great stuff just for that purpose.