Pedal Commander issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every now and then my Raptor will all of sudden throw up a wrench and then the gas pedal goes spongy on me. To clear it, I have to stop, turn of the truck and restart. Error goes away like nothing happened. It doesn't make any difference what settings I'm in on the Pedal Commander.

Anyone else experience this? If so, what's the fix?

FYI....I have a 2012 SVT Raptor SCAB, 6.2.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

If its throwing a wrench, its probably throwing a code. Have you hooked up a code reader and see what is telling you? I have had my pedal commander since 2016 and haven't had any issues.

OP
OP
SS308

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I did, you're gonna love this....blank, nothing. As soon as turn the engine off it's gone.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen a few times, I think its a voltage interruption because of the pedal commander being hooked up. I have had mine throw the wrench, and increase the idle and actually pull away on me. I just shut it down, open the door to kill all power, and restart and its worked every time. I get it once a year.

Blue Ballin

Reaction score
Yup, happened to me too. Freaked me out, especially when I lost power going up a hill. But as soon as I turned off the Blue Beast and turned it back on, everything was back to normal.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but are we even sure this is the fault of or being contributed to by the pedal commander?

I’d pull the mods to the last good config and run that way for a while. If the issue goes away, you may have a faulty p/c, or bum connections.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but are we even sure this is the fault of or being contributed to by the pedal commander?

I’d pull the mods to the last good config and run that way for a while. If the issue goes away, you may have a faulty p/c, or bum connections.
In my case it was the pedal commander. I apologize in advance if I go into too much detail.
I've had it installed for around 3-4 years. I was using it all the time at first, usually on city +1 or +2 sometimes in sport but then I found it completely unnecessary, it just got old and I only used it when I went to a TRR event where it mattered I thought. Last event I went to in 2021 I didn't even use it but it was still plugged in just turned off. This year my truck started feeling bad almost like it was still trying to learn my driving style all of a sudden, very sketchy, shifting was a bit choppy and there was some abnormal gear hunting started happening especially on up hills or when I was at a constant speed say 55 or 60. Couldn't decide whether to downshift or upshift here and there and I had to give it gas to help it decide bc it was pretty annoying, it was not smooth and sometimes it would down shift all angrily for no reason when I gave it a little gas to pass or something as if I was angry lol, I have a pretty loud exhaust and I could only imagine other drivers thinking I was a **** or something. Since the pedal commander was turned off it didn't occur to me it could be causing an issue. So the wrench light comes on and i was like what now!? but like most of you mentioned I managed to turn it off and start it again and it would just reset itself. I hoped it would just go away and not come back, no such luck. At first it was random I'd forget about it, then it was once a week, and I started blaming it on the lead frame bc that's all you read about these days leadframe this and that and the downshifting to first gear recalls etc.. mine hasn't done that and I hadn't taken it in for the recalls since I'm boosted with a tune and I wasn't having an issue I just didn't want to mess with it and the terrible experience it was gonna be dealing with a dealership. Mainly all the time wasted especially in these recent conditions with all the staffing and supply chain issues. My wife's expedition was at the dealer for two weeks before they even started diagnosing an electronic assist issue ‍♂️
So I took it to a dealership anyway, I didn't care about the recall or warranty just replace the part already so I can get back to life!
It was such a waste of my time, the techs were Fn idiots but I'll spare you guys all the details except that they didn't feel comfortable working on my truck bc it was modified, I was like it's a supercharger!, ford makes cars with superchargers do you not work on those? ,what does a factory transmission part have to do with my supercharger? I just said you know what now I don't feel comfortable with you touching my truck and just left annoyed as hell. Glad they didn't touch it because the lead frame wasn't the problem. So I guess I should thank them for not wasting my money. So I went ahead and Ordered the leadframe and all fluids and corresponding parts to do the job myself and bypass the stupidity and annoyance that is going to a dealership with anything that isn't factory or has a DTC code. Almost $500 just in parts. So while I waited for the parts I kept researching and came across some information about the signal between the pedal and throttle body and how any interruption could cause a problem, then I read an article about common problems with the pedal commander and how it could somehow mess with our computers in some cases making it think we have a low oil pressure condition and making it go into limp mode, sometimes the problem occurred as soon as it was installed but most started causing problems over time. So just for giggles I disconnected the pedal commander and wow what an immediate difference it made. Truck felt good instantly I can't explain it. It's been 3 months no wrench light, truck shifts smooth and downshifts smoothly, it just feels like it should. Like when I bought it!
I returned the parts after a while once I felt the light would not return, the truck is still running smoothly. I would of kept the lead frame as a spare but since it's been on back order I way over paid for it so I returned it and will just get it when I need it and will cost me $198 at the ford parts desk. On Amazon I paid almost $300 after shipping for the thing so I saved that money,and the headache and time of having to do that unnecessary job just by disconnecting the pedal commander. Its still in my truck on the dash for looks lol gotta at least get that for the $300 the stupid thing cost me. I wouldn't sell it to anyone knowing it was messing with my truck so I guess it's going to be an expensive dash ornament. Maybe a reminder to leave shit alone and that not every shiny new gadget is a good buy ‍♂️

OP
OP
SS308

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I experienced similar issues...
I loved the Pedal Commander, when it works....:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer

Latest posts